Why Cal Lutheran?
Outstanding Students, Faculty, and Staff
- Diversity of strong students from all over the U.S. (e.g., UC Davis, Irvine, Los Angeles, Riverside, San Diego,
Santa Barbara; Yale University; The New School) and abroad (e.g., University of London,
University of Guadalajara)
- Excellent core psychology faculty who value teaching, research, and service.
- All faculty have active clinical practices and years of clinical experience and expertise in treating a variety of populations.
- Attentive and kind administrative staff that are easily accessible.
- Two-year full-time program or three-year part-time program
- Two campus locations:
- Oxnard Center: Day classes on Tuesday and Thursdays (9am-4pm)
- Thousand Oaks/Westlake Center: Late afternoon and evening classes Monday through Thursday
- Fall or summer start times
Classes and Curriculum
- Very small entering class sizes of 25 students per cohort that allows for personal contact and discussion with professors
and opportunities to develop close relationships with classmates and colleagues.
- Optional concentration areas such as Latino counseling, family mediation, recovery model, attachment theory, Dialectical
Behavior Therapy, and psychological trauma.
- Clinically focused curriculum designed to meet all of the education requirements set forth by the Board of Behavioral
Sciences and has been designed to align with the AAMFT Core Competencies.
- Technology-equipped state of the art classrooms: computers, projectors with writable capabilities, internet access, and video and
- Two onsite training clinics staffed by our second-year Psy.D. and M.S. Counseling (MFT) students (with 21 licensed
supervisors) located in Oxnard and Westlake Village that provide extensive low-fee
community services to underserved communities (almost 15,000 scheduled appointments
last year). These centers have computerized scheduling systems, computer workstations,
digital recording in all 28 therapy rooms, the capability of streaming live therapy
sessions, iPad kiosks for clients to complete the OQ-45 evaluation tool (which is
recorded directly to our online database), fully stocked play therapy rooms, family
therapy rooms, and group rooms.
- Practicum training can occur at these onsite counseling centers.
- Diverse optional externship settings include hospitals; schools; and specialized facilities for domestic violence, at-risk
children, youth, and families; and developmental disabilities.
- Updated technology and computer labs with extensive online and physical library resources
- Student Council actively involved in program development, professional development, community service,
and providing programmatic feedback to the Director of the MS Counseling Program and
- Library access to 270 full-text online journals, 2279 physical volumes, 2709 full text e-books, and 2941 online videos for both students
- Interlibrary loan is easily accessible from computers on and off campus.
- M.S. Counseling (MFT) graduates had higher pass rates than California state averages
on the MFT Written Clinical Vignette Examinations (CLU = 100%; State Average = 82%)
and the MFT Standard Written Examinations (CLU = 64.29%; State Average = 62%) administered
during Spring 2013. Source: www.bbs.ca.gov/exams
- Program graduates are working in hospitals, medical centers, non-profit organizations, schools and universities,
inpatient facilities, police departments, specialized treatment facilitates (e.g.,
domestic violence, eating disorders, addictions), public or governmental agencies
(i.e., Department of Children and Family Services, Foster Care, Department of Public
Social Services, Department of Veterans’ Affairs), court systems, or private practice.
- Choose to further your education by completing a doctorate in Marital and Family Therapy, Clinical Psychology, or
a related field.
California Lutheran University
- Private, not for profit university
- Tier One Regional University as ranked by U.S. News & World Report in Best Colleges 2015 (Ranked 15th in the West)
- WASC accredited university
- Welcoming of diversity of all types: age, dis(ability) status, ethnicity, gender, gender identity and expression, language,
nationality, political view, race, religion sexual orientation, socioeconomic status,
- Program benefits from the resources and support of the full university (online registration, computer support, academic support services, fitness center,
- Thousand Oaks, Oxnard, and Westlake Village are located in Ventura County between Los Angeles and Santa Barbara, CA.
- Oxnard campus is 15 minutes from Ventura beach, 40 minutes from Santa Barbara or Malibu. Or 60 minutes from Santa Monica. Temperature
is between 60 and 75 year round.
- Biking, hiking, running, swimming, surfing, and farmers’ markets – all possible during study breaks or days off!
- In August 2015, Ventura County was ranked in the Washington Post as the most desirable county to live in America. This ranking was based upon natural amenities, such as mild, sunny winters, temperate
summers, low humidity, topographic variation, and access to a body of water.