ADEP General Degree Requirements
The requirements for the bachelor of science degree are designed to provide you with a broad program of liberal arts study and an opportunity to concentrate in your field of interest.
ADEP advisement counselors will assist you in preparing an individualized degree plan; nevertheless, you are ultimately responsible for seeing that your academic program includes all requirements for graduation. To this end, the ADEP faculty adviser and the registrar are available for assistance. You should refer to the ADEP Student Handbook for policies and details.
In order to be eligible for graduation, you must:
- Complete 124 semester credits. At least 40 of the 124 must be upper division. 30 of the final 40 credits must be completed in residency. This requirement cannot be met using credit by examination or CLEP.
- Complete all requirements in the major area of study.
- Maintain a cumulative grade point average of at least 2.0 for all graded college work and all work completed at CLU.
- Maintain a cumulative grade point average of at least 2.0 for all graded courses in the major area of study.
General Education Requirements
You may have transferred some or all of the required general education courses from previous course work. However, if you still need any of the courses, you will find them available as part of the Adult Degree Program curriculum. General education includes:
- Written Communications
- English 111 with a grade of C or better
- One upper division writing intensive course
- One speaking intensive course
- Mathematical Reasoning - One course (beyond intermediate algebra) or proficiency exam. Depending on the student's score on the math placement test, the student may be required to take Math 110 as a prerequisite for higher level courses.
- Written Communications
- Humanities: One religion course and three additional courses selected from religion, literature, philosophy, history or humanities.
- Social Sciences: Two courses in different disciplines selected from an approved list: cultural anthropology, criminal justice, economics, cultural geography, political science, psychology,or sociology.
- Natural Sciences: One course, with a lab component: physical anthropology, astronomy, biology, chemistry, physical geography, geology, or physics. Senior transfers (90 or more credits) who have completed two science courses without laboratory components will have met the Natural Sciences requirement.
- Visual and Performing Arts: One course, at least two credits.
- Cultures and Civilization
- US Diversity- one course
- Integrated Studies
- Integrated Studies Capstone - one course (This course is a part of the requirements in your major and may also be used to complete a perspectives requirement.)
Pass/Fail courses are not transferable as core or Program Requirements.
CSU Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC)
California Lutheran University will accept the certification of the CSU Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC). ADEP students who complete the IGETC and California Lutheran University's religion and oral communication requirements have met all of CLU's lower division general education graduation requirements. Any Religion course will satisfy the religion requirement.
Students who do not complete the IGETC will follow the CLU general education requirements as stated above.