You're looking for the right fit, and we're looking for dedication and passion.
Our admission staff carefully reviews each application to make sure applicants are a good match for Cal Lutheran. Decisions are largely based on high school GPA in a college-prep curriculum, standardized test scores, a personal recommendation, and a personal statement presenting your ability to effectively form and articulate thoughts in writing.
SAT and ACT
We accept both the SAT and the ACT. If you submit more than one SAT score, we use the highest individual verbal score and the highest individual math score from all tests in our evaluations.
Similarly, we use the highest subject scores from all submitted ACT score reports. Cal Lutheran also grants college credit for Advanced Placement test scores.
Minimum Required High School Coursework
- English: 4 years
- Math: 3 years (including Algebra II), 4 years preferred
- Foreign Language: at least 2 years of the same language
- Social Studies: 2 years
- Lab Science: 2 years required, 3 years highly recommended
In addition to the measure of achievement and aptitude as indicated by transcripts and test scores, there are other factors which are considered in the admission process:
- Teacher recommendations
- Excellence in co-curricular activities
- Seriousness of purpose as evidenced through work, travel experiences, and/or contributions to home, and school and community.
We are looking for students who are balanced in their pursuits, who have been successful in those pursuits, and who have proven that they are ready for the rigors of the four-year college level.
- Completion of freshman English (college level) with a grade of "C" or better
- Completion of a college level math course required, but for admission purposes, we will require successful completion of intermediate algebra as it is the prerequisite for all college level math courses. No credit will be given for intermediate algebra as it is not a transferable course. College level math courses include college algebra, finite math, pre-calculus, calculus, etc.
- Completion of 30 transferable units (if you have less than 30 units, your final high school transcripts and SAT/ACT scores will also be used in the admission decision)
- A minimum 2.75 transferable GPA
If you'd like to arrange a preliminary evaluation of your transcripts for transferable credit, please call the Office of Admission at (805) 493-3135. We generally request that you send transcripts to our office a minimum of three weeks prior to an in-person appointment so that we may have ample time to evaluate your transcripts for transfer.
In addition to the Freshmen / Transfer Requirements, International Applicants Must Submit Proof of English Proficiency.
Conversational and academic proficiency of English is an integral part of studying at Cal Lutheran. . International students are required to provide proof of English proficiency in one of the following ways:
- Minimum TOEFL score of 213 computer-based; 550 paper-based; or 79 internet-based
- Minimum IELTS score: 6.5
- Minimum Pearsons (PTE Academic) score: 58
- Completion of ELS 112
- Completion of freshman English (college level) with a grade of "C" or better at an accredited community college or university
- Applicants who attend secondary school where English is the language of instruction for a minimum of three years may have the proof of English proficiency requirement waived on a case by case basis. Please contact admissions@CalLutheran.edu