Graduate School of Education

Ways to Give

Gifts of Cash, Checks or Credit Cards

An outright gift of cash is often the simplest way to give. It is not subject to gift or estate taxes, and you can deduct the gift amount as a charitable donation on your federal income tax return.

If the gift exceeds your gift ceiling for the year in which it is made, you may also be able to carry over the remaining deduction to succeeding years.

This means that with careful planning, nearly every outright gift to CLU School of Education can be deducted. To make a gift by credit card, you can give now using our secure server, or call (805) 493-3837 to provide your credit card information over the phone.

To make your gift with a check, please make it payable to California Lutheran University, and mail it to:

California Lutheran University
School of Education
c/o Director of Development
60 West Olsen Road #4100
Thousand Oaks, CA 91360

Gifts of Stock

If you're fortunate to have made some great investments in the stock market, you may want to think about a gift of stocks or bonds. Why? Because giving appreciated stocks or bonds may be more favorable than a cash donation, since you can deduct the full fair market value of long-term appreciated securities and avoid tax on the capital gain. You can deduct gifts of securities up to 30 percent of your adjusted gross income with a five-year carry-over option.

Gifts in Memory or Celebration

You can also make a tribute gift in memory of a friend or family member, in honor of someone special to you, or to recognize a person or couple on an anniversary, birthday or other special occasion.

You can make your gift by phone or by mail. We will send an acknowledgment card recognizing your gift to the person or persons you designate. The amount of your gift will not be revealed to them. You will receive a separate acknowledgment letter noting the amount of your gift for your records.

For more information about ways to give, please contact Director of Development Stacy Swanson at (805) 493-3667 or

Feedback Form