Results: Academic Language and Literacy Instruction, K-6 (RALLI)
Supporting Implementation of the Common Core State Standards
Teachers from Pleasant Valley School District collaborate during a RALLI Training at Cal Lutheran University.
What is RALLI?
RALLI is a professional development institute designed to provide teachers with the tools and skills necessary to analyze the academic language and literacy demands of complex literary and informational texts. RALLI also supports teachers in designing effective instruction to help their students make meaning from complex grade-level text, whether read aloud to them or read by them with instructional support, and to use evidence from the text to demonstrate comprehension. RALLI core routines include both content and language objectives, following a general sequence for before, during, and after reading.
RALLI Institute Overview
|Content Area Text and Task Analysis|
|Backward Design Aligned with the Common Core Standards|
|The Background Overview|
|Setting a Purpose for Reading|
|Text-Based Academic Discussions|
|Scaffolding the Expressive Tasks|
|Functional Language Practice|
|Content Conversations Linked to Expressive Tasks|
What are the Participant Outcomes for RALLI Institutes?
- Understand what it means to be a literate person in the 21st century, as defined by the Common Core State Standards for English Language Arts
- Become familiar with a comprehensive literacy framework that identifies the specific components causing challenges for students
- Learn how to effectively integrate academic language and literacy instruction throughout the instructional day using grade-level literature and subject matter text
- Learn to implement instructional strategies and routines to help make complex text more accessible, increase students' use of academic language, and improve motivation and engagement
- Apply the basic components of backward design and text and task analysis
- Understand why students need explicit instruction in English syntax, grammar, and vocabulary to participate in academic genres, both oral and written
- Learn strategies for differentiation to facilitate access for English learners across levels of English language proficiency
- Implement a model for sustained teacher collaboration and grade level teams to support implementation of strategies and routines learned in the institute
Teachers and Administrators from Pleasant Valley School District and Ventura Unified School District participate in a hands-on activity during a RALLI Training at Cal Lutheran University
How Does RALLI Meet the Needs of English Learners?
CRLP has a long history of providing professional development helping teachers to meet the needs of English learners. Our highly qualified teachers leaders understand the everyday challenges of providing the kinds of instructional support EL students need in order to attain the level of academic English required for successful subject matter learning in school. RALLI core routines focus on how to make dense, complex text accessible to all students, including an emphasis on linguistic support-on unpacking the words and the structures of sentences and text.