Preliminary Education Specialist Teaching Credential
The Special Education program at CLU offers course work for three speciality areas:
- Mild to Moderate (M/M)
- Moderate to Severe (M/S)
- Deaf and Hard of Hearing (DHH)
All three specialty areas authorize service in grades K-12 and in classes organized primarily for adults through age 22. Both specialties include authorization for the teaching of students with autism. All teaching programs at Cal Lutheran are CCTC-approved to provide English Learner Authorization.
- Bachelor’s or higher degree from a regionally accredited college or university
- Accredited professional preparation program, including successful student teaching
- Certificate of Clearance (fingerprint clearance)
- Basic Skills Proficiency (CBEST or equivalent)
- Developing English Language Skills, including reading (This requirement is fulfilled by coursework in the program)
- U.S. Constitution
- Passage of RICA - You are encouraged to complete this requirement after completion of reading coursework.
- CCTC-approved Health Education course (contact CLU Credential Analyst for more course information)
- Subject-matter competence by examination or program
- Multiple Subjects by examination
- (NCLB) Core academic subjects by examination or program
- Adult, Infant and Child CPR certification (needs to be valid at time of credential recommendation)
Application for Recommendation
Prior to application for recommendation for the credential or certificate, an academic exit must be completed with an adviser. Call 805-493-3421 to schedule this exit. If you submit an application and a hold has been placed on your account by the Business Office due to outstanding charges, the application will be returned to you. You may submit an application without final grades posted after May 1st for spring completion, and after December 1st for fall completion. However, the application will not be processed until eligibility and all grades have been verified.
Preliminary credential application process:
Complete Request for Credential Recommendation.
PAY YOUR $40.00 CREDENTIAL APPLICATION FEE HERE!
Submit the application, receipt of $40 CLU application fee, a copy of your signed CPR card, front and back (or other verification of this requirement), and official transcripts for any non-CLU course work to the Graduate School of Education Credentials Office.
Be sure to read the instructions thoroughly and keep them for future reference. Click here for more detailed information regarding the credential recommendation application process.