Credential Application and Recommendation Process
There are several features about the application process which are important to note:
- You must have an active e-mail account (please, no AOL addresses)
- You must have a debit/check or credit card (Visa/MasterCard only)
- Applications for extension requests cannot be processed electronically
On the Credential Office webpage, a link is provided to download and print a copy of the credential application and instructions, as well as any additional forms as required for Education Specialist and Administrative Services credential applications. Print every page. Read the instructions and keep them with a copy of your completed application for your records. Complete the application.
PAY YOUR $40.00 CREDENTIAL APPLICATION FEE HERE!
A $40 application fee to Cal Lutheran is required and receipt of payment must accompany your application. Keep in mind this is the Cal Lutheran application fee. You must also pay an application fee online to the CTC later in the application process.
Submit the application, any required verification, and proof of payment to the Graduate School of Education Office. If you have any special requests or correspondence for the Credential Analyst, please include these on a separate piece of paper attached to the application. If you wish to mail your application, the address is:
CLU Graduate School of Education
60 West Olsen Road #4100
Thousand Oaks, CA 91360
Please allow at least 5 business days for your application to be reviewed and processed (longer if grades have not yet posted for the semester). Once your application has been reviewed and your eligibility established, the Credential Analyst will submit a recommendation to the CTC electronically.
Submission of the electronic recommendation by the Credential Analyst generates an e-mail notification to the applicant. This is a very important part of the process. The subject line will read [NOTICE] Application for New Teaching Credential. The body of the e-mail will look like this:
Dear Your Name,
You have met all of the necessary requirements to receive a
recommendation for the following document.
Credential: Credential Name: Date of recommendation
by Credential Analyst
In order to complete the filing process, you must take the following steps:
- Proceed to California Commission on Teacher Credentialing Online Services for Educators.
- Click on the big yellow button on top of the page that says "Online Services for Educators"
- When prompted, enter date of birth and Social Security number to prove identity. (You have to go through a validation process if this is your first time logging in to the new website. You may also have to enter your date of birth and Social Security number twice in order to proceed.)
- Complete a short online form.
- Pay the credential fee using Visa or MasterCard debit or credit card. When completed, the application form and fee will be sent to the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing, which reserves the final authority to grant or deny a credential.
Certified by: Christina Canchola CALIFORNIA LUTHERAN UNIVERSITY
Note that this e-mail will not list any specifics of the credential recommended (Single Subject authorizations, Supplementary or Subject Matter Authorizations, etc.) It will only state the term (Preliminary or Clear) and name (Multiple Subject, Single Subject, Pupil Personnel Services, etc.) of the credential recommended. Do not send a reply to the Credential Analyst from this e-mail. All correspondence to the Credential Analyst should be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you notice errors made at this point in the process (name misspelled, incorrect name or type of credential) notify the Credential Analyst. Corrections cannot be made until the credential is issued.
Until you complete the online portion of the application process, the CTC cannot issue the credential. IF YOU DO NOT COMPLETE THE ONLINE APPLICATION PROCESS WITHIN 60 DAYS OF RECOMMENDATION, YOUR APPLICATION WILL BE RETURNED. YOU WILL BE REQUIRED TO SUBMIT A NEW APPLICATION AND FEE.
Within approximately ten working days you will receive e-mail notification from the CTC that the credential has been issued. The Credential Analyst also receives this notification. A copy of this e-mail can be used for employment purposes.
Effective June 1, 2008: The CTC has eliminated the printing and mailing of credential documents. Official credential verification is confirmed on the CTC web site. A printable version of the credential is available from the same site.