The Colver/Culver Family in America
8th Generation Charles Frederick Culver
Charles Frederick Culver (known as "Fred") was born 9 August 1837 in Elkland, Pennsylvania. He married 13 October 1859 in Elkland, Marietta L. Gee, the daughter of Van Ransler and Julia (Davis) Gee. Fred and Marietta moved to nearby Clymer, Pennsylvania and are listed in the 1860 census as being farmers. They had 3 children who were all born in Pennsylvania. Their daughter, Lena, died at the age of 8 months and is buried in Krusen Cemetery in Westfield, PA. In 1871 they moved to Springfield, South Dakota and were later joined by other members of the Culver family. Fred is mentioned in a Springfield, South Dakota Centennial book along with his son, Edgar Lincoln Culver, his brother-in-law, Robert T. Wood, and his son-inlaw, Charles Carlin. (This and the 1880 census showing him in Springfield are the earliest mentions of Charles Carlin that I've found so far.) Also mentioned is Dr. Charles Keeling whose sister, Marion, married Edgar L.Culver in 1891: The first school in Springfield was not very large and was moved to various locations. Annie Griffith was the teacher in 1872 and the building was rapidly completed for her by D. R. Martin. At the annual meeting in 1872 officers elected were John A. Lee, trustee; Fred Culver, treasurer; Ira J. Smith, district clerk. Tax of 1/2 of one per cent was voted for teacher's wages and the same for fuel and repair ... Roster of business places of August, 1875, included: J. L. Turner, postoffice, stage and express; R. T. Wood, attorney; L. D. F. Poore, attorney; Dr. G. W. Ira, physician and surgeon; land office, Poore receiver and L. N. Judd register; H. C. Davison, International machinery; Captain Jack Daily, Springfield Ferry Boat; H.E.Bonesteil, groceries and dry goods; James Stephens, furniture and harness shop; E.A. Davison, stables and livery barn; Niles and Setyler, livery and horseshoeing on 7th St.; John Fry, stoves and tinware; H. A. James, pine lumber, on 8th St.; S. Henderson, mill.
During the 21st year of the Springfield Times (1891) more businesses joined the roll call. Included after each name in parenthesis is the founding year of the establishment: E. W. Monfore (1881), groceries and drugs; Stephens and Mead (1873), harness, furniture, contracting agents; Samuel Henderson (1870), saw mill, jeweler and clocks; J. L. Turner (1871), drug store, cigars and sporting goods; Snow (1869) and Groot (1883), real estate and bank; Dr. Keeling (1888), medical doctor; S. F. Smith (1891), restaurant and confectionery; T. E. Stanley (1881), blacksmith shop; J. H. Wise (1891), barber; Magnuson and Whipple (1891), farm machinery and hardware; Fred Culver (1871), livery stable and busline; Conrad Hunn (1876), meat market; R. Mullinger (1886), attorney-at-law; John Brown, dray line and ferry to Santee; M. L. Young, painter; J. M. Clock (1887), contractor and builder; Miss Lindsay, millinery shop. The Fire Department was organized August 21, 1893, with the following officers elected: C. Hunn, chief; A. W. Webb, assistant chief; E. L. Culver, secretary; H. M. Davison, treasurer. The hose company elected the following officers: Can Hunn, foreman; Orren Truesdell, assistant foreman; Ed Culver, secretary; H. M. Davison, treasurer ...