Support Staff Position (non-exempt)
Position TitleAdministrative Assistant to the Deans - CLOSING 7/31/2013 AT 5PM
DepartmentGraduate School of Education
Salary ($US) and BenefitsSalary Range: $16.77 - $17.50
Basic FunctionUnder the direction of the Dean and Assistant Dean of the Graduate School of Education (GSOE), provide confidential, advanced specialized clerical, administrative and technical assistance to the Dean and Assistant Dean; organize and maintain professional calendars, record, edit and distribute meeting minutes, coordinate unit wide events, communicate with external constituents, act as the point person with internal and external departments on projects, control the release of sensitive information and exercise frequent independent judgment within the assigned areas of responsibility. Maintain the integrity of confidentiality at all times in oral and written communication. Uphold the important California Lutheran University (CLU) attitudes by implementing the CLU mission and core values as well as the GSOE’s STRIVE statement in personalized service to clients and others.
Representative Duties• Performs confidential administrative assistant duties in support of the Dean and Assistant Dean of the Graduate School of Education, including, but not limited to: word processing, scheduling appointments, making travel arrangements, handling mail, routing telephone calls, greeting guests, preparation and set up for special meetings, maintaining online calendars, and fielding inquiries from students, faculty and the community. E
• Serves as liaison with other university offices and services in the local educational community to ensure excellent service to students and faculty.E
• Assists the Dean and Assistant Dean to ensure that students consistently experience GSOE academic excellent degree programs.
• Independently composes correspondence regarding matters not requiring personal responses by the Dean and Assistant Dean. E
• Updates mailing lists and database(s) and coordinates large mailings or e-mail and social media communication as needed. E
• Compiles information and oversee the production of reports as requested. E
• Makes arrangements for faculty meetings and other meetings and events; assists in gathering and preparing materials and agendas for said meetings; finalizes and distributes the meeting minutes in a timely manner. E
• Coordinates beverage and/or food for faculty/staff retreats and other meetings as assigned.
• Prepares reimbursement vouchers, requests for payment, travel claims, and other forms on behalf of the Dean and Assistant Dean using current Business Office forms. E
• Collaborates, as needed, with other administrative assistants in the Graduate School of Education to complete tasks that involve more than one program or department as directed by the Dean and Assistant Dean.
• Establishes and maintains detailed Graduate School of Education files that are maintained in the Dean’s and Assistant Dean’s offices in hard copy or electronic form as needed.
• Attends to administrative detail on special matters assigned by the Dean and Assistant Dean.
• Opens and closes GSOE office or building as needed.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
Knowledge OfUniversity mission, goals, and objectives.
Graduate School of Education programs, policies and procedures.
Operations, procedures, rules and precedents specific to Dean’s and Assistant Dean’s executive office.
Modern office practices, procedures and equipment operation.
Record-keeping techniques and protocols.
Correct English usage, grammar, spelling, punctuation and vocabulary.
Telephone techniques and proper office etiquette
data entry techniques and specified software usage.
Principles of training and providing work direction.
Public relations techniques.
Interpersonal skills using tact, patience and courtesy toward everyone.
How to use social media (e.g. web, Facebook, twitter, etc.)
Ability ToPerform executive office support duties to relieve the Dean and Assistant Dean of routine detail.
Be flexible and receptive to change.
Maintain the security and confidentiality of records, materials, equipment and information.
Work with discretion and professionalism.
Assemble, organize and prepare data for records and reports.
Answer telephones and greet guests and others courteously.
Direct routing of incoming telephone calls and “walk-in” student inquiries.
Compose correspondence and written materials.
Organize, coordinate and oversee office activities involving the Dean and Assistant Dean.
Understand and resolve GSOE issues, complaints or problems.
Communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
Establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with others.
Operate a Mac computer
Provide work direction to others assigned by Dean and Assistant Dean.
Interpret, apply and explain rules, regulations, policies and procedures.
Work effectively under pressure and with constant interruptions.
Work independently with minimal direction.
Understand and follow oral and written instructions.
Perform assigned duties within clearly defined guidelines, including meeting schedules and timelines.
Communicate effectively, in both oral and written forms.
Balance and process a variety of tasks and demands.
Work as a member of a team as needed.
Work well with students, staff, faculty, alumni, and administration.
Utilize active listening skills.
Assist others with special projects as assigned.
Education and ExperienceAny combination equivalent to: Bachelor’s degree and five years increasingly responsible office experience in an executive or administrative support role.
Office environment with constant interruptions.
Dexterity of hands and fingers to operate a computer keyboard.
Sitting for extended periods of time.
Hearing and speaking to exchange information in person or on the telephone.
Seeing to read a variety of materials.
Application ProcedureCompleted Application Packet includes:
• CLU Application
• Cover letter outlining your qualifications for this particular job
Only complete packets will be forwarded to the search committee. Please submit your cover letter and resume by email to firstname.lastname@example.org, or mail to:
California Lutheran University
Human Resources, MC1100
60 W. Olsen Road
Thousand Oaks, CA 91360
California Lutheran University is an equal opportunity employer. Upon request, reasonable accommodations in the application process can be provided to individuals with qualifying disabilities. Please contact the Human Resources Department for further information or to request an accommodation.