Administrative Position (exempt)
Position TitleAssistant Director, Writing Center - CLOSED TO NEW APPLICANTS
Salary ($US) and BenefitsSalary Range: $42,066 - $54,685
Basic FunctionUnder the direction of the Writing Center Director, the Assistant Director will have primary responsibility for managing the daily operations of the Writing Center, including scheduling all aspects of center instruction as well as supervising and mentoring undergraduate and graduate writing tutors and directly providing writing consultation as needed. The Assistant Director will assist in: the professional development of writing tutors; assessment of programs and instructional design; and in coordinating instructional plans for writers with complex needs. This position also provides direct instructional support and requires assigned teaching responsibilities, depending on need and expertise.
Representative Duties• Assists the Director with recruiting and supervising the Writing Center undergraduate and graduate student writing tutors.
• Performs teaching duties as assigned to include teaching responsibilities of English courses, depending on need and expertise.
• Coordinates and assigns personnel to various program elements of the Writing Center; coordinates and assigns student work schedules and projects.
• Assists in ongoing assessment of student writing needs; assesses Writing Center program learning outcomes for continuous improvement of instruction.
• Collaborates with the Director and assists in planning and implementing Writing Center rules, policies, procedures, and programs.
• Assists with the professional development of student writing tutors; conducts weekly training practica for all student tutors; mentors student tutors in selecting promising teaching strategies, including practices for multilingual, non-traditional, first generation, distance, and students with disabilities; assesses learning needs of student tutors; facilitates a learning community among Writing Center staff.
• Coordinates, maintains, and assesses an online/e-tutoring program for online students.
• Leads marketing and outreach efforts to promote the Writing Center; designs and conducts Writing Center workshops.
• Communicates student needs with faculty and staff from Graduate and Bachelor’s Degree for Professionals programs; serves as a consultant to faculty and staff on the instruction or pedagogy of writing.
• Develops and coordinates the formatting and finalization processes for theses and dissertations.
• Assists in providing writing consultation and tutors graduate and adult students on academic writing skills as needed.
• Performs other related duties and tasks as assigned.
Knowledge Of• Writing Center theories and practices.
• Writing Across Curriculum (WAC).
• Scholarship pertaining to multilingual writers and writing development.
• Genres and literacy practices of U.S. graduate schools.
• Basic Writing (BW) and development writing courses offered by community colleges and universities.
• Multimodal composition and new media of writing.
• Principles and practices of supervision and training.
• Standard written English.
• Relevant computer software and technology such as: Microsoft software (Word, Excel, MS Project, PowerPoint).
Ability To• Supervise and train graduate and undergraduate student tutors according to policies and procedures.
• Communicate with faculty across various disciplines about students’ writing needs.
• Conduct workshops pertaining to graduate-level writing.
• Work one-on-one with graduate and adult writers from diverse backgrounds.
• Assess and maintain an online tutoring program.
• Assist with thesis and dissertation formatting process.
• Maintain records and reports related to writing center work.
• Learn, apply and explain policies, procedures, rules and regulations.
• Communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
• Establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with others.
• Operate a computer terminal to enter data, maintain records and generate reports.
• Work independently with minimal direction.
• Excellent customer service skills, which includes interpersonal skills using tact, patience and courtesy
• Speak in a public setting and deliver effective presentations.
Education and ExperienceAny combination equivalent to: Master’s degree in Rhetoric and Composition, English, or a closely related field. A minimum of two years of experience working in a university writing center. A minimum of one year of experience teaching English courses at the university level.
• Experience in managing a writing center is desirable.
• Substantial experience teaching college-level composition is desirable.
• Substantial experience working with graduate and adult students is desirable.
• Additional experience or interest in TESOL is desirable.
LICENSES AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS:
• Able to work flexible hours, including evening and weekend hours.
• May be required to provide transcripts and/or a writing sample upon request.
Constant interruptions and distractions.
Contact with dissatisfied individuals.
Must be able to speak in public for work-related workshops and events.
Dexterity of hands and finger to operate a computer keyboard.
Seeing to read and review data for accuracy and prepare records and reports.
Lifting light objects.
Hearing and speaking to exchange information with students, staff and public.
Sitting or standing for extended periods of time.
Application ProcedureCompleted Application Packet includes:
• CLU Application
• Cover letter outlining your qualifications for this particular job
Only complete packets will be forwarded to the search committee. Please submit your cover letter and resume by email to firstname.lastname@example.org, or mail to:
California Lutheran University
Human Resources, MC1100
60 W. Olsen Road
Thousand Oaks, CA 91360
California Lutheran University is an equal opportunity employer. Upon request, reasonable accommodations in the application process can be provided to individuals with qualifying disabilities. Please contact the Human Resources Department for further information or to request an accommodation.