Support Staff Position (non-exempt)
Position TitleAdministrative Assistant
DepartmentOffice of Campus Ministry
Salary ($US) and BenefitsSalary Range: $17.35 - $22.56
Basic FunctionUnder the direction of the Campus Pastors in the Office of Campus Ministry, the Administrative Assistant performs a variety of responsible, advanced, complex, and varied administrative support and secretarial duties; organizes and coordinates office activities and communications to assist the administrators with assigned functional areas of responsibility.
Representative Duties• Performs a variety of administrative and secretarial support duties including filing, record-keeping, fielding telephone calls, receiving and directing visitors, word processing, filing, faxing, and processing information related to the assignment. E
• Manages day-to-day office activities to ensure efficient and effective operations in accordance to the policies and procedures of the Office of Campus Ministry; develops, recommends and maintains office policies and procedures in accordance with best practices. E
• Assists in the planning and execution of Campus Ministry programs and events. E
• Compiles, reviews and arranges data for reports; reviews documents, records, lists, tables and other materials for accuracy, completeness and conformance with applicable rules and regulations. E
• Ensures efficient general operation of office; opens and closes office. E
• Establishes and maintains a variety of records, logs, and filing systems pertaining to area(s) of responsibility. E
• Maintains and updates departmental calendars as needed; schedules meetings, conferences, travel, accommodations, and appointments for assigned personnel as needed; transcribes and distributes minutes according to established procedures; plans and organizes events as needed. E
• Performs routine typing or data entry using a computer. E
• Provides oversight and coordinates University-sponsored worship services. E
• Provides administrative support for funerals. E
• Coordinates communications between the administrator and university personnel, students, educational institutions, vendors, and other constituencies. E
• Monitors progress of assigned projects. E
• Formats, types and edits a variety of complex material deriving from rough drafts or notes to include calendars, letters, memoranda, agenda, minutes of meetings, reports, requisitions and other material. E
• Provides information and responds to complaints, concerns, and requests for information from students, staff, stakeholders and the general public regarding issues, programs, policies, procedures and regulations. E
• Orders and maintains inventory of equipment, materials and supplies, including psychological assessment materials. E
• Coordinates specific activities and events of office and arrange for auxiliary services. E
• Greets office visitors and provides appropriate direction and hospitality; screens and directs phone calls; provides basic information, or takes messages as needed. E
• Maintains and updates website; effectively uses social media to advance Campus Ministry. E
• Supervises, trains, and evaluates student workers. E
• Receives and issues requests for keys in accordance with University policy. E
• Serves as a liaison with Campus Dining, Conferences & Events, and Media Services. E
• Schedules routine maintenance of Campus Ministry facilities an equipment. E
• Assists in the development of publications and marketing for the Office of Campus Ministry. E
• Prepares office budget reports; monitors budget expenditures; processes requests, requisitions, and invoices. E
• Receives, sorts, and distributes mail. E
• Operates standard office equipment including a computer, calculator, fax machine, copier, printer, and other related peripheral equipment. E
• Performs other related duties as assigned.
Knowledge Of• Modern office practices, procedures, and equipment.
• Record-keeping, filing, and information organizing techniques.
• Interpersonal skills using tact, patience and courtesy.
• Word processing, spreadsheet, database, presentation, and other relevant software applications, including Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook.
• Correct English usage, grammar, spelling, punctuation and vocabulary editing with accuracy and attention to detail.
• Public relations and customer service techniques.
• Basic event planning.
• Multi-line phone systems and telephone techniques and etiquette.
Ability To• Perform administrative support and secretarial duties.
• Understand and support the mission and values of the University as part of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA).
• A practiced understanding of the Protestant Liturgical calendar.
• Operate a computer terminal to enter data, maintain records and conduct word processing.
• Coordinate, organize, and oversee office activities.
• Maintain databases and files with minimal errors.
• Meet schedules and deadlines to advance goals of office.
• Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
• Learn policies, procedures and regulations and apply to specific situations.
• Answer telephone and greet the public with courtesy and hospitality.
• Schedule and coordinate meetings, conferences and appointments.
• Relay messages, and screen and route calls and visitors.
• Establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with others.
• Identify policies or procedures that are ineffective and develop new polices and procedure to enhance office operations.
• Work effectively with frequent interruptions.
• Understand and follow oral and written directions.
Education and ExperienceMINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
Any combination equivalent to: two years of college-level coursework and two years of secretarial, administrative, clerical, office or related experience.
Prior experience as an administrative assistant in a non-profit, corporate, higher education or multi staff ministry setting preferred.
Office and church environment with constant interruptions.
Manual dexterity of hands and fingers to enter data into computer and to operate office equipment; speaking to exchange information and make presentations; sitting or standing for extended periods of time; pushing, pulling or lifting light objects; bending and reaching to store and/or retrieve files.
Application ProcedureCompleted Application Packet includes:
• CLU Application
• Cover letter outlining your qualifications for this particular job
Only complete packets will be forwarded to the search committee. Please submit your cover letter and resume by email to email@example.com, or mail to:
California Lutheran University
Human Resources, MC1100
60 W. Olsen Road
Thousand Oaks, CA 91360
California Lutheran University is an equal opportunity employer. Upon request, reasonable accommodations in the application process can be provided to individuals with qualifying disabilities. Please contact the Human Resources Department for further information or to request an accommodation.