Support Staff Position (non-exempt)
Position TitleSecurity Officer I
Salary ($US) and BenefitsHiring Range: $11.88 - $16.00
Basic FunctionUnder the direction of the Director of Public Safety, provide security and safety for students, staff, visitors and physical assets of the campus community. Enforce campus motor vehicle regulations and assist in parking and traffic control.
Representative Duties• Patrol campus buildings and grounds on foot, bicycle or by vehicle as required. E
• Secure all buildings and structures according to need, checking for signs of vandalism, fires or other dangers which might result in loss or damage to life or property. Report to supervisor all hazards, unsafe conditions and equipment failures. E
• Enforce all university and civil laws pertaining to security on campus. E
• Write clear, concise incident reports. E
• Enforce campus traffic regulations and assist with traffic control during special events. E
• Assist in emergency situations (e.g. accidents, personal injuries, fires, earthquakes, etc.). E
• Respond to fire and burglar alarm activations. E
• Provide escort services as requested. E
• Perform related duties as assigned.
Knowledge OfCampus safety policies and procedures;
Applicable laws, codes, regulations, policies and procedures of a campus environment;
Interpersonal skills using tact, patience and courtesy;
Knowledge of common fire hazards and the operation of fire equipment;
Basic first aid and CPR;
Correct English usage, grammar, spelling, punctuation and vocabulary;
Basic computer skills, including working knowledge of Word, Excel and Outlook.
Ability ToCommunicate effectively both orally and in writing.
Read, interpret, apply and explain rules, regulations, policies and procedures.
Establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with others.
Analyze situations accurately and adopt an effective course of action.
Meet schedules and time lines.
Work independently with little direction.
Work flexible hours & shifts as needed.
Education and ExperienceEDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Any combination equivalent to: graduation from high school and three years of experience in security patrol work, or 4 year college degree plus one year of experience in security patrol work or prior law enforcement or military experience with honorable discharge.
LICENSES AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS:
Valid California driver’s license and an acceptable, current DMV driver’s record report.
BSIS Guard Card preferred. Candidate must be able to pass a California State Background for a guard card. Law enforcement history will qualify as substitution for guard card.
In-door and out-door assignments
Available for shift work
• Sitting, standing and walking 8 or more hours per day.
• Bending at the waist.
• Crawling, kneeling, stooping, squatting or crouching while working.
• Climbing ladders and stairs.
• Walking over rough or uneven surfaces.
• Ability to hear and speak to exchange information.
• Adequate eyesight to perform tasks and drive vehicles.
• Pulling, pushing and carrying up to 50lbs.
• Reaching and working horizontally, above the shoulders and overhead.
• Physical ability to ride bicycle and T3 In Motion, electric carts and other vehicles as required.
Capable of using control and compliance techniques associated with arrest and handcuffing methods.
Application ProcedureEmployment application must be submitted in full, additionally, send resume with cover letter and names and phone numbers of three professional references to:
California Lutheran University
Human Resources, MC1100
60 W. Olsen Road
Thousand Oaks, CA 91360
Fax resume to (805) 493-3655 or