Support Staff Position (non-exempt)
Position TitleAdministrative Assistant
Salary ($US) and BenefitsSalary Range: $16.18 - $20.00
Basic FunctionUnder the direction of the Associate Provost of Academic Services & Registrar and Associate Registrar, perform a broad range of secretarial, administrative and technical assistance functions for the Registrar’s Office; maintain undergraduate and graduate class schedules; room scheduling; and athletic eligibility; control the release of sensitive information and exercise frequent independent judgment within the assigned areas of responsibility.
Representative Duties• Responsible for creation of class schedule, including data entry and coordination with decentralized schedule enterer and proofing all entries.
• Responsible for the assignment of all classrooms for all courses in the room scheduling software (ASTRA).
• Responsible for coordinating issues with room scheduling with other users of scheduling software (i.e. Conferences and Events, Media Services, etc.)
• Perform as secretary and administrative assistant and relieve the Registrar and Associate Registrar of a variety of clerical and administrative duties. E
• Assist in the registration of undergraduate and graduate students into classes; assist students at the counter with registration forms and related information; Maintain and process tutorials and exchange forms.
• Responsible for certifying athletic eligibility and coordinating with appropriate personnel.
• Coordinate communications between the Registrar’s office and various groups such as University staff, students or community groups, and respond to questions requiring knowledge and interpretation of policies. E
• Arrange and schedule a variety of meetings and appointments; maintain calendars, make reservations and travel arrangements; establish and maintain regular and special schedules of the Registrar’s office; attend meetings on behalf of the Registrar as assigned. E
• Route incoming mail; answer telephones; relay messages; screen and route calls and visitors; provide information to staff, students and the public regarding programs and functions of Registrar’s office. E
• Monitor progress of assigned projects; maintain record-keeping systems and develop schedules. E
• Format, type and edit a variety of complex material from rough draft or notes including calendars, letters, memoranda, agenda, minutes of meetings, reports, requisitions and other materials. E
• Maintain a variety of logs, files and records, including files; control the release of sensitive information to authorized personnel. E
• Coordinate specific activities and events of Registrar’s office and arrange for auxiliary services. E
• Operate a variety of office equipment, such as computers and related software, printers, calculators and copy machines. E
• Order and maintain inventory of equipment, materials and supplies; assist in budget development process; review documents, records, lists, tables and other materials for accuracy, completeness and conformance with applicable rules and regulations. E
• Assist in the development and preparation of reports, meeting materials and other documents as requested.
• Maintain current knowledge and records of regulations and requirements applicable to the Registrar’s Office.
• Perform related duties as assigned.
Knowledge OfOperations, procedures, specific rules and precedents of the office.
Modern office practices, procedures and equipment.
Correct English usage, grammar, spelling, punctuation and vocabulary.
Telephone techniques and etiquette.
Operation of office machines including computer equipment and specified software.
Principles of training and providing work direction.
Basic budgeting practices regarding monitoring and control.
Public relations techniques.
Interpersonal skills using tact, patience and courtesy.
Ability ToMulti-task in a dynamic environment.
Bring and maintain a positive and professional service attitude at all times.
Perform administrative support duties to relieve the Registrar of routine detail.
Assemble, organize and prepare data for records and reports.
Answer telephones and greet the public courteously.
Compose correspondence and written materials independently.
Organize, coordinate and oversee office activities.
Understand and resolve issues, complaints or problems.
Communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
Establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with others.
Add, subtract, multiply and divide quickly and accurately.
Use current technology to enter data, maintain records and generate reports.
Train and provide work direction to others.
Learn University mission, goals, and objectives.
Learn, interpret, apply and explain rules, regulations, policies and procedures.
Work independently with little direction.
Understand and follow oral and written instructions.
Education and ExperienceHigh School diploma required. Any combination equivalent to: two years college-level course work in secretarial science or related field. Two years experience in an education environment preferred. A comparable mix of education, training, and customer service experience required.
Dexterity of hands and fingers to operate a computer keyboard.
Sitting for extended periods of time.
Hearing and speaking to exchange information in person or on the telephone.
Seeing to read a variety of materials.
Application ProcedureEmployment application must be submitted in full, additionally, send resume with cover letter and names and phone numbers of three professional references to:
California Lutheran University
Human Resources, MC1100
60 W. Olsen Road
Thousand Oaks, CA 91360
Fax resume to (805) 493-3655 or
California Lutheran University is an equal opportunity employer. Upon request, reasonable accommodations in the application process can be provided to individuals with qualifying disabilities. Please contact the Human Resources Department for further information or to request an accommodation.