Support Staff Position (non-exempt)
Position TitleAccounting & Administrative Assistant
Salary ($US) and BenefitsSalary Range: $16.18 - $21.00
Basic FunctionUnder the direction of the Associate Provost, perform a variety of administrative, technical, and accounting duties related to the preparation, maintenance and review of financial records, accounts and reports; assure compliance with established policies and procedures, governmental regulations and other grantor contractual agreements; perform a wide variety of secretarial and administrative duties; relieve the Associate Provost of a variety of administrative details including the coordination of activities, meetings, communication, events, and relationships with other offices/programs.
Representative Duties• Monitor and maintain account balances; prepare related reports as assigned; maintain a variety of files; verify data for accuracy, completeness and compliance with established procedures.
• Collect and compile statistical and financial data and other narrative information from a variety of sources for inclusion into special and periodic reports; revise schedules, reports, records, and other information as necessary.
• Provide data compilations, analysis and other background information as needed for the development of operating budgets, proposals and pro forma budgets, in support of the Associate Provost and Director of the Office of Sponsored Research.
• Verify, reconcile, balance and adjust accounts.
• Prepare invoices, time records, purchase requisitions and similar documents.
• Prepare program accounting and statistical reports for submission to supervisors; prepare remittances and reports for various governmental agencies and grantors.
• Serve as the primary administrative liaison for the Associate Provost in his/her interactions with key University staff and support offices to ensure the timely and accurate compliance with their information needs including purchasing and reimbursement activities, etc.
• Perform a variety of computations; operate computer to input and extract financial data.
• Assist in the preparation of grant applications.
• Maintain current budget information; monitor budget expenditures; assist in budget preparations; maintain files.
• Manage the Associate Provost’s calendar.
• Support the Associate Provost and his/her participation in University and external committees, offices and processes, including the development and analysis of data reports, assessments and proposals.
• Coordinate and arrange work-related travel for the Associate Provost.
• Coordinate the agendas and scheduling of planning groups related to the organizational chart outlined for the Associate Provost, and ad hoc groups as needed.
• Provide direct and confidential support to the Associate Provost in the exercise of his/her responsibilities; maintain a variety of confidential files and records; input and retrieve computerized data in computer systems as required.
• Schedule and help coordinate Festival of Scholars activities.
• Operate a computer to enter and retrieve data, maintain records and generate reports; utilize word processing, spreadsheet, database and other software required by position.
• Serve as primary liaison with off-campus individuals and organizations in the external and professional communities with whom the Associate Provost interacts.
• Coordinate the activities, meetings, communication, events and relationships with external membership boards, counsels and committees of the Associate Provost.
• Coordinate and execute tasks and activities with budget implications including purchase orders, purchase requisitions, requests for payment for the Associate Provost and associated offices/centers/programs.
• Receive, open and distribute mail; identify and refer matters to the assigned supervisor or staff member in order of priority.
• Provide information and assistance in person or on the telephone on a variety of department matters; answer routine requests for information in person or by enclosing materials or sending form letters or e-mail communications.
• Establish and maintain positive staff and public relations image.
• Perform related duties as assigned.
Knowledge Of• Automated administrative systems including, but not limited to Datatel.
• Accounting and auditing principles, practices and procedures.
• Financial, statistical and fiscal record-keeping principles.
• Rules and regulations concerning assigned accounting activities.
• Data processing applications to accounting functions.
• Interpersonal skills using tact, patience and courtesy.
• Modern office practices, procedures and equipment.
• Operation of a computer equipment and related software.
• Correct English usage, grammar, spelling, punctuation, and vocabulary.
• Business office software, such as Word, Excel, and/or Access.
• Technical aspects of field of specialty.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills.
Ability To• Perform technical accounting work in the preparation, maintenance and review of program financial records, grants, accounts, and reports.
• Assure compliance with applicable federal grant policies, procedures and regulations.
• Operate a variety of office equipment and machines such as typewriter, calculator and automated office equipment and related software.
• Balance and reconcile accounts.
• Develop and maintain spreadsheets, databases, and other automated systems.
• Process and record accounting transactions accurately.
• Interpret, apply, and assure compliance with contractual agreements.
• Perform secretarial and administrative assistance duties to relieve the Associate Provost of routine detail.
• Work independently with little direction; work confidentially with discretion.
• Establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with others.
• Analyze situations accurately and adopt an effective course of action.
• Work efficiently with many interruptions; meet schedules and deadlines.
• Learn and support the university mission, goals and objectives.
• Evaluate and oversee methodology and standards to ensure data integrity.
• Dexterity of hands and fingers to operate a computer terminal, typewriter and standard office equipment.
• Sitting and operating a keyboard to enter data into a computer terminal for extended periods of time.
• Hearing and speaking to exchange information in person and on the telephone.
• Reaching overhead, above the shoulders and horizontally and bending at the waist to maintain files.
Education and ExperienceAny combination equivalent to: two years of college-level course work in accounting or related field and two years increasingly responsible technical accounting experience and one year of administrative assistance experience. Working knowledge of Datatel preferred.
Position requires strong analytical, communication, organization and interpersonal skills. Must be an independent self-starter with a strong team spirit and the ability to communicate with both financial and non-financial people, set priorities complete simultaneous projects, and interface with senior management.
Dynamic office environment.
Extended viewing of computer monitor.
Application ProcedureCompleted Application Packet includes:
• Cover letter outlining your qualifications for this particular job
Only complete packets will be forwarded to the search committee. Please submit your cover letter and resume by email to firstname.lastname@example.org, or mail to:
California Lutheran University
Human Resources, MC1100
60 W. Olsen Road
Thousand Oaks, CA 91360
California Lutheran University is an equal opportunity employer. Upon request, reasonable accommodations in the application process can be provided to individuals with qualifying disabilities. Please contact the Human Resources Department for further information or to request an accommodation.