Support Staff Position (non-exempt)
Position TitleAccounting Technician II - Payroll/General Ledger (Position Closing: May 24, 2013 @5pm)
Salary ($US) and BenefitsSalary Range: $16.77 - $20.93
Basic FunctionMaintain sole responsibility for student payroll processing to ensure that students are paid on an accurate and timely basis. Assist in preparing and processing payroll and benefit information to ensure that University staff, faculty, and administrators are paid on an accurate and timely basis. Ensure University complies with mandatory federal and state reporting requirements. Under the primary direction of the Assistant Controller, maintain responsibility for preparing and processing monthly transactions and reconciliations for financial statement closes. Assist in accounting area as requested.
Representative Duties• Prepare and process payroll information to ensure that students are paid on an accurate and timely basis. Plan, organize and prioritize the student payroll function procedures and develop functional calendars. E
• Compile, calculate, and prepare student workers payroll; review for accuracy and completeness and edit payroll reports to ensure various payrolls and various accounts balance. E
• Answer or address payroll related questions, concerns, and issues regarding employment. Produce management reporting information as requested. E
• Review, enter, and transmit payroll data on automated payroll system, record and maintain confidential payroll records, such as individual employee records for benefit purposes, W-4 forms, taxes, earnings records and others; calculate and determine payroll tax deposits. E
• Assist Payroll Supervisor as needed: Preparing and processing payroll and benefit information to ensure that University staff, faculty, and administrators are paid on an accurate and timely basis. Processing tax payments to government agencies (FICA, Medicare, SDI, and withholding). Processing payments to vendors related to government-mandated garnishments and payroll deduction programs such as retirement, tax deferred annuities, Section 125 benefits, etc, in a timely and accurate manner. E
• Reconcile and post Development Gifts on a monthly basis. E
• Prepare routine analyses of various Financial Aid & Program Grant accounts and collect grant funds according to accounting activity. E
• Prepare and post journal entries for Budget Transfer/Accounting Correction Requests as received. E
• Post Interdepartmental Charge Backs on a monthly basis. E
• Prepare and post monthly journal entry for releasing/transferring funds available to offset expenses. E
• Post daily activity to General Ledger. E
• Assist in annual audits, including preparing schedules, reconciling accounts and answering audit questions E
• Assist other accounting areas as required/directed.
• Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge OfPrinciples and techniques involved in payroll preparation.
Payroll related accounting practices.
Operation of a computer terminal.
Techniques of utilizing related accounting software.
Financial and statistical record-keeping techniques.
Oral and written communication skills.
Microsoft Office programs – Excel, Word
Ability ToAbility to work in fast-paced environment under tight deadlines
Perform complex accounting functions related to assigned payroll transactions.
Organize and prioritize various projects and timelines.
Utilize various computer software and a computer terminal.
Review, compile, interpret and prepare a variety of fiscal reports.
Communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
Meet schedules and time lines.
Make arithmetic computations with speed and accuracy.
Process and record accounting transactions accurately.
Compare numbers and detect errors efficiently.
Education and ExperienceAny combination equivalent to: two years college level coursework, including accounting courses, and two years experience in payroll and/or general ledger function. Additional experience may substitute for educational experience on a year-for-year basis. Bachelor’s degree a plus.
Sitting for extended periods to time.
Seeing to read and compare various data.
Dexterity of hands and fingers to operate a computer keyboard.
Bending at the waist to retrieve or store various records.
Continuous viewing of computer monitors.
Application ProcedureCompleted Application Packet includes:
• CLU Online Application
• Cover letter outlining your qualifications for this particular job
Only complete packets will be forwarded to the search committee. Please submit your cover letter and resume by email to firstname.lastname@example.org, or mail to:
California Lutheran University
Human Resources, MC1100
60 W. Olsen Road
Thousand Oaks, CA 91360
California Lutheran University is an equal opportunity employer. Upon request, reasonable accommodations in the application process can be provided to individuals with qualifying disabilities. Please contact the Human Resources Department for further information or to request an accommodation.