Support Staff Position (non-exempt)
Position TitleAdministrative Assistant - Temporary
Salary ($US) and BenefitsHiring Range: $16.77 - $18.00
Basic FunctionUnder the direction of the Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs and the Academic Affairs Executive Assistant, perform complex secretarial, administrative and technical assistance functions for the Academic Affairs Office; control the release of sensitive information and exercise frequent independent judgment within the assigned areas of responsibility.
Representative Duties• Serve as administrative assistant to the Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs.
• Arrange and schedule a variety of meetings and appointments; maintain calendars, make reservations and travel arrangements, establish and maintain regular and special schedules of the work unit; take minutes as assigned
• Route incoming mail; answer telephones; relay messages; screen and route calls and visitors; provide information to staff, students and the public regarding programs and functions of the Office of Academic Affairs; resolve administrative issues according to established guidelines
• Coordinate communications between the Provost, senior management, board members, programs and operating units, and various groups such as other University staff, students and community groups, and respond to questions requiring judgment, knowledge and interpretation of policies
• Format, type and edit a variety of complex material from dictation, rough draft or notes including surveys, calendars, emails, letters, memoranda, agenda, minutes of meetings, reports, requisitions and other materials
• Assist in the maintenance of a variety of logs, files and records; control the release of sensitive information to authorized personnel; assist with budget paperwork
• Assist committees on an as needed basis. Prepare agendas and take minutes.
• Prepare and distribute concise Faculty Announcements email on a weekly basis.
• Produce all Academic Standing letters (e.g. Probation, Suspension, Dean’s List, etc.).
• Oversee/Track all Reports of Academic Dishonesty.
• Assist with coordination of Faculty Retreats, Opening Convocation, Honors Convocation, Academic Affairs Events, Professional Development Day, Commencement, etc.
• Assist in maintenance of record-keeping systems, files and timelines for office projects
• Assist with maintaining all faculty and adjunct records
• Operate a variety of office equipment such as computers and related software, printers, calculators and copy machines
• Order and maintain inventory of equipment, materials and supplies; review documents, records, lists, tables and other materials for accuracy, completeness and conformance with applicable rules and regulations
• Assist in the development and preparation of reports, meeting materials, budgets and other reports; collect data and perform research on a variety of matters as directed, including the preparation of a variety of financial and statistical reports
• Maintain current knowledge and records of regulations and requirements applicable to the Provost’s Office; monitor transactions, programs and services to assure compliance
• Maintain Academic Affairs Organization Charts using Visio and update as necessary.
• Perform related duties as assigned
Knowledge OfOperations, procedures, specific rules and precedents of the office;
Modern office practices, procedures and equipment;
Record-keeping techniques; Correct English usage, grammar, spelling, punctuation and vocabulary;
Telephone techniques and etiquette;
Database systems (Datatel preferred);
Mastery of Outlook calendaring software required.
Operation of office machines including computer equipment and specified software (Word, Excel, Power Point, Visio);
Public relations techniques;
Interpersonal skills using tact, patience and courtesy.
Ability ToPerform complex secretarial and administrative support duties to relieve the Provost of routine detail;
Assemble, organize and prepare data for records and reports;
Answer phones and greet the public courteously;
Type at 65 wpm from clear copy;
Compose clear, concise and accurate correspondence and written materials independently;
Understand and resolve issues, complaints and problems;
Communicate effectively both orally and in writing;
Establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with others;
Add, subtract, multiply and divide quickly and accurately;
Operate a computer terminal to enter data, maintain records and generate reports;
Learn University mission, goals, and objectives;
Learn, interpret, apply and explain rules, regulations, policies and procedures;
Plan and organize work and meet deadlines.
Maintain composure when dealing with stressful situations.
Work independently with little direction;
Understand and follow oral and written directions.
Education and ExperienceHigh school diploma and any combination equivalent to: two years of college-level coursework and three years increasingly responsible office experience. Experience managing a database system required (Datatel preferred)
Open architecture office environment
Occasional contact with abusive individuals.
Constant exposure to computer terminal
Dexterity of hands and fingers to operate a computer keyboard
Sitting for extended periods of time
Bending at the waist, kneeling or crouching to store or retrieve records.
Hearing and speaking to exchange information in person and on the telephone
Seeing to read a variety of materials
Application ProcedureCompleted Application Packet includes:
• CLU Application
• Cover letter outlining your qualifications for this particular job
Only complete packets will be forwarded to the search committee. Please submit your cover letter and resume by email to email@example.com, or mail to:
California Lutheran University
Human Resources, MC1100
60 W. Olsen Road
Thousand Oaks, CA 91360
California Lutheran University is an equal opportunity employer. Upon request, reasonable accommodations in the application process can be provided to individuals with qualifying disabilities. Please contact the Human Resources Department for further information or to request an accommodation.