Support Staff Position (non-exempt)
Position TitleAdministrative Assistant
DepartmentGraduate School of Education - Learning & Teaching
Salary ($US) and BenefitsSalary Range: $16.77 - $18.00
Basic FunctionUnder the direction of the Department Chair, provide specialized clerical, administrative, and technical assistance to the Chair; provide secretarial support for the departmental faculty.
Representative Duties• Act as confidential secretary for the department chair performing such duties as: word processing, scheduling appointments, taking messages, routing calls, answering student and faculty questions.
• Provide secretarial support for program directors and other departmental faculty as directed by the Department Chair.
• Keep student files and placement records for all students, as appropriate. Update student files (both hard copy and electronic version) for all programs in the department as needed. Enter all information into Datatel accurately for candidate placements (school, district, grade, cooperating teacher/site supervisor, etc.)
• Maintain databases and mailing lists.
• Make arrangements for departmental faculty meetings and other meetings and events as needed; prepare agenda and minutes of departmental meetings.
• Serve as liaison with the dean's office, graduate student support services, off campus centers, and other university offices as requested by the Department Chair.
• Work collaboratively with other administrative assistants in the School of Education to complete tasks that involve more than one program or department.
• In collaboration with the Department Chair and departmental faculty, maintain the course class schedule and communicate all changes to the appropriate individuals, including the office manager.
• In collaboration with the Department Chair and departmental faculty, request desk copies as needed and maintain regular communication with bookstore staff to ensure alignment with faculty requests.
• Prepare departmental correspondence; draft routine responses for department chair; prepare and send letters to potential candidates; Prepare and send emails to candidates as needed for announcements, changes, or program information.
• In collaboration with the Department Chair and departmental faculty, prepare and update program documents and other supporting material. Develop a report of credential completers each semester and degree completers annually. Assist with the collection of data for the Biennial Report. Maintain email lists by cohort for all credential and degree programs.
• In collaboration with the Department Chair and departmental faculty, maintain the course database and update the School of Education website with current syllabi.
• Process, log, and track student petitions. Place a copy of the petition in the student file.
• In collaboration with the Department Chair and departmental faculty, compile information and oversee the production of departmental reports.
• Supervise student workers and departmental assistants assigned to the department.
• As directed by the Department Chair, respond to all information requests from the dean on behalf of the department.
• As directed by the Department Chair, keep track of the departmental budget.
• Prepare reimbursement forms, requests for payment, travel vouchers, and other forms for the appropriate signatures. Prepare and process all bills and invoices for the departmental programs (TPA, orientation, etc.)
• In conjunction with TPA Coordinator, organize and oversee the administration of assessments appropriate.
• Perform other duties as assigned; this includes a broad range of tasks that may be ongoing in nature or as a result of special projects or grant work.
Knowledge Of• Modern office practices, procedures, and equipment.
• Record-keeping techniques and protocols.
• Oral and written communication skills, including correct English usage, grammar, spelling, punctuation, and vocabulary.
• Telephone techniques and proper office etiquette.
• Public relations techniques.
• Computer work station operation, including data entry techniques and specified software usage.
• Database management
Ability To• Learn Graduate School of Education programs, policies, and procedures.
• Learn Organization, policies, and rules of assigned department.
• Perform responsible secretarial and administrative support duties.
• Maintain confidentiality and work with discretion.
• Apply and explain rules, regulations, policies, and procedures.
• Understand and follow oral and written directions.
• Make arithmetic calculations quickly and accurately.
• Type at 60 wpm, computer literacy in word processing (Microsoft Word).
• Answer telephones and greet guests courteously.
• Determine appropriate action within clearly defined guidelines.
• Establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with others.
• Meet schedules and time lines.
• Assemble, organize, and prepare data for records and reports as requested.
• Compose correspondence and written materials independently.
• Complete work with many interruptions.
• Operate a variety of office equipment.
• Make arrangements for meetings and conferences.
• Maintain a variety of files, records, and logs.
• Perform assigned duties within clearly defined guidelines, including meeting schedules and timelines.
• Work independently.
Education and ExperienceHigh School diploma and any combination equivalent to: two years of college level coursework and three years of comparable experience.
• Office environment filled with constant interruptions
• Dexterity of hands and fingers to operate a computer keyboard
• Ability to sit for extended periods of time
• Hearing and speaking to exchange information in person or on the telephone
• Seeing to read a variety of materials
Application ProcedureCompleted Application Packet includes:
• CLU Application
• Cover letter outlining your qualifications for this particular job
Only complete packets will be forwarded to the search committee. Please submit your cover letter and resume by email to firstname.lastname@example.org, or mail to:
California Lutheran University
Human Resources, MC1100
60 W. Olsen Road
Thousand Oaks, CA 91360
California Lutheran University is an equal opportunity employer. Upon request, reasonable accommodations in the application process can be provided to individuals with qualifying disabilities. Please contact the Human Resources Department for further information or to request an accommodation.