Support Staff Position (non-exempt)
Position TitleGraduate Program Specialist - Online Instruction (Temporary, approx. 6 month assignment)
DepartmentSchool of Management
Salary ($US) and BenefitsHiring Salary: $17.50
Basic FunctionThis position reports to the MBA Program Manager and is responsible for the supervision of online instruction in the MBA Programs including (but not limited to) the Traditional MBA, the Full-Time MBA, the Online MBA, and the Austrian MBA (hereinafter “SOM Graduate Programs”). Involved in this position are a full range of moderate to complex work assignments involving the use of sound judgment, discretion, and decision-making including a high-level administrative support with assignments and projects reflecting substantial variety. Work cycles are longer involving multiple projects that vary in scope and timing. This position provides lead work direction to other support staff.
Representative Duties• Coordinate activities with the MBA Program Manager.
• Performs administrative duties and relieve the MBA Director(s) of a variety of administrative duties.
• Provides information to the MBA Director(s), the MBA Program Manager, and faculty members, staff, and other persons as needed.
• Arranges, schedules, and organizes a variety of meetings and appointments for the MBA Director(s) with on-campus and off-campus individuals and organizations (including ones in other countries) through the utilization and maintenance of calendars.
• Attends on-campus and off-campus meetings on behalf of the MBA Director(s).
• Responds to incoming inquiries (telephone, email, fax, web-based) and appropriately screens and routes messages and visitors to the MBA Director(s), faculty members and staff.
• Oversees the creation and monitoring of budgets as well as the production and review of pertaining documents, including requisitions, purchase orders and other documents as necessary.
• Coordinates general office activities.
• Communicates, both written and verbally, with other MBA Program administrative staff members.
• Plans, implements and monitors progress of assigned projects and provide reports on projects as requested.
• Prepares a variety of complex materials from multiple sources and offices including drafts, notes, letters, memoranda, agendas, minutes, reports, handbooks and other materials.
• Creates, collects and maintains reasonable data and records on policies, procedures, and operations.
• Participates in recruitment, selection, completion of necessary administrative procedures, training, and supervision of graduate assistants, student workers, and tutors as needed.
• Assists in the ordering and maintaining of equipment, materials, and supplies for general office use.
• Maintains records and monitors programs, transactions, and services to assure compliance with regulations, policies, and requirements.
• Assists the MBA Director(s) and the MBA Program Manager in all issues related to online instruction.
• Develops (and revise on an ongoing basis) plans for the creation of new and revision of existing online course offerings.
• Assists and liaise with the MBA Program Manager / Academics concerning the identification of new online instructors; train and mentor instructors in the MBA Programs concerning the creation and revision of online courses, including (but not limited to): the provision of early access to courses; assistance in the execution of adaptations; and the design and delivery of online orientation sessions for instructors.
• Assists in the development of new courses and the revision of existing courses including (but not limited to): the review of material submitted by course developers; the submission of materials to the provider of the online instruction platform; the clearance of copyrights; ongoing quality control; and the management of the overall workflow.
• Ensures that all courses are uploaded and accessible on the online learning platform and/or learning management software in a timely and correct manner.
• Provides assistance to instructors in the MBA Programs with all questions pertaining to online instruction.
• Provides assistance to students in the MBA Programs on all issues pertaining to online instruction, including, but not limited to the design and delivery of orientation sessions for new students.
• Coordinates with and assist other administrators in the MBA Programs on all issues pertaining to online instruction.
• Develops, reviews and maintains online and off-line guidebooks, including (but not limited to) guidebooks for course developers and guidebooks for course instructors; provide trainings and orientation for new and existing online course developers and online course instructors.
• Coordinates training, orientation and other events with the Graduate Program Specialist / Marketing and Events.
• Develops, reviews and implements quality assurance procedures in collaboration with the MBA Director(s).
• Assists other offices at the university and participates in meetings relating to the delivery of online courses.
• Coordinates activities and serve as a liaison with third party software vendors including those (but not limited to) providing online platforms and learning management systems.
• Cooperates with the Graduate Program Specialist / Marketing and Outreach in the collection of information for marketing purposes and promotional activities.
Knowledge Of• University and program vision, mission, goals and objectives.
• Regulations, policies, operations, procedures, specific rules and precedents of the office.
• Modern office practices, procedures and equipment, including automated administrative systems.
• Basic budgeting practices regarding monitoring and control.
• Record-keeping techniques.
• Correct English usage, grammar, spelling, punctuation, and vocabulary.
• Communication etiquette and techniques, including telephone and email.
• Interpersonal skills using tact, patience and courtesy.
• Knowledge of the relevant federal, state and voluntary regulatory environment.
Ability To• Learn and support the university and program vision, mission, goals and objectives.
• Learn, interpret, apply and explain rules, regulations, policies and procedures.
• Work independently with little direction.
• Understand and follow oral and written directions.
• Understand and diagram processes and workflows.
• Organize, coordinate and oversee office activities.
• Operate office machines including computer equipment and specified software at an advanced level.
• Add, subtract, multiply and divide quickly and accurately.
• Create, assemble, organize and prepare data for records and reports.
• Compose correspondence and other written materials independently.
• Establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with other staff members and offices.
• Communicate effectively in written and oral form.
• Think critically, understand and resolve issues, complaints and problems.
• Provide support and participate in the evaluation, design and implementation of policies, procedures and guidelines related to the program.
• Answer telephone calls and other communication and respond courteously and professionally.
• Speak publicly in front of on-campus and off-campus audiences.
• Train and provide work direction to others.
• Dexterity of hands and fingers to operate a computer keyboard.
• Sitting for extended periods of time.
• Seeing to read and write a variety of materials.
• Hearing and speaking to exchange information in person or on the telephone.
• Pushing, pulling, or lifting light objects.
• Bending at the waist or crouching to retrieve and store files.
• Ability to assemble paperwork, reports, and other communications formats.
• Extended exposure to computer terminals.
• Occasional contact with abusive individuals.
• Operate a vehicle.
Education and ExperienceAny combination equivalent to: college-level course work and two years of increasingly responsible administrative experience.
EnvironmentDynamic office environment with frequent interruptions and the need for pro-active and frequent interaction with other individuals and offices.
Application ProcedureCompleted Application Packet includes:
• CLU Application
• Cover letter outlining your qualifications for this particular job
Only complete packets will be forwarded to the search committee. Please submit your cover letter and resume by email to firstname.lastname@example.org, or mail to:
California Lutheran University
Human Resources, MC1100
60 W. Olsen Road
Thousand Oaks, CA 91360
California Lutheran University is an equal opportunity employer. Upon request, reasonable accommodations in the application process can be provided to individuals with qualifying disabilities. Please contact the Human Resources Department for further information or to request an accommodation.