POLICY TITLE: Domain Name Policy
REVISION DATE: July 29, 2007
California Lutheran University (CLU) requires the central recording of all domains representing CLU, and the registration of those names in compliance within University policy parameters.
Reason for Policy
Domain names are part of the identity of the university, representing the university on the Internet. Proper management of domain names associated with CLU need to be centrally managed to ensure continuity of associated services.
The Domain Name System (DNS) is an Internet-wide distributed database of names translating Internet Protocol (IP) addresses into easily memorable names. It is also a tool for locating services since many services are known by their domain name. For example, the hostname "www" has come to be well known as the name of a system which provides web (HTTP) service, and the domain name "www.callutheran.edu" is thus known as the primary web server address for Cal Lutheran.
The IP address is a 32-bit number, commonly represented as four 8-bit numbers separated by dots, used to identify a host on the Internet. The IP address is used by networks to route messages from one host to another. An example of an IP address on our campus network is 126.96.36.199, also known as robles.callutheran.edu.
Domain Name System (DNS) is the method or scheme for associating names with an IP address and other data. The domain name system is not an authentication system, or an authorization system. The use of DNS or IP addressing as the basis for authentication or authorization is discouraged. DNS is also not a "white pages" directory. It contains information about computers and in some cases the services they provide. It does not reliably provide information about people.
Although an implied policy regarding the assignment of domain names has existed at Cal Lutheran, there has been no formally agreed upon and approved policy. A formal policy is now necessary because:
- Individual departments and units within the University need to offer and communicate new or unique services on the Internet.
- There are an increasing number of requests for domain names that do not meet current CLU DNS conventions.
- There have been requests for ISS and the Creative Media Center (CMC) to register domain names outside callutheran.edu domain.
- Domain names exist at Cal Lutheran that are inconsistent with current naming conventions.
- The principal domain name for Cal Lutheran is "callutheran.edu". All services that are provided by members of Cal Lutheran community as part of their official functions and as part of the mission of the institution will be registered within callutheran.edu domain according to the Implementation Requirements attached to this policy.
- All services that are provided by either members or non-members of the Cal Lutheran community, but that are not part of their official functions as members of the community or as part of the mission of the institution, must be registered outside callutheran.edu domain according to the Implementation Requirements listed in this policy.
- Services provided by University affiliates (e.g., KCLU) may be registered under callutheran.edu domain, or may be registered outside of callutheran.edu domain.
- Names outside of callutheran.edu domain may be allowed if associated with the support of University-related organizations. For example, CLU Sports and KCLU.
- Existing domains that do not conform to this policy will be reviewed to bring them into conformity with this policy, including the conditions for exceptions described below, or to grant them "grandfathered" status, if that is most appropriate.
- All exceptions that are granted to the normal subdomain naming within callutheran.edu domain will be assigned an alias to the domain that would otherwise normally apply to the request, if such a domain exists. This will allow users to use network tools to determine the unit to which a particular service is affiliated even though the affiliated unit does not appear in the exception name.
Implementation of the Policy
- Responsibility for implementing this policy will rest with the Information Systems and Services (ISS). To contact ISS about domain name administration issues, send an Email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Requests which are denied by ISS may be appealed to the Associate Provost for Information Services.
- ISS will maintain the registration and renewal process for all domains used by the CLU. The registration and contact information will be carried out using best practices.
DNS Standards Within the callutheran.edu Domain
The format of DNS service entries is "hostname. callutheran.edu":
- CLU does not allow departmental subdomains; e.g. hostname.department.callutheran.edu.
- Departments approved for departmental servers, may choose the server name and host name.
- Server and computer hostnames should not be trademarked or copyrighted terms.
- Server and computer hostnames must not be distasteful, obscene, or used to misrepresent their purpose.
- The hostname component of the domain name may reflect generally accepted practices, used by the Internet-at-large and provided by sites internationally, including www and ftp. For example, the "www" in www.callutheran.edu.
- The hostname component of the domain name may reflect the name of the service program or may follow a naming scheme within the department. For example, the "portfolio" in portfolio.callutheran.edu.
- Length limit for hostname and department subdomain names is 63 characters each.
DNS Requirements - Outside callutheran.edu Domain
Domain names outside callutheran.edu may be allowed and may be required if all the following conditions are met. The proposed name should have either primary or secondary name service provided by callutheran.edu hosts.
- The proposed name will be used by many people from many different organizations outside the University.
- The proposed name is not likely to be confused with the name of a Cal Lutheran department or unit.
- The proposed name signifies an organization or venture, commercial or noncommercial, which is not explicitly part of the University.
- The proposed name is for a project with external funding.
- The placement of the proposed name outside callutheran.edu has the explicit approval of the President’s Cabinet.
Related Policies, References and Attachments:
All other guidelines must minimally follow CLU’s Computer Use Policy:
Page content goes here.