International Admission Requirements
Applications are considered year-round ("rolling admissions"). Students can be accepted into any of the 4 entry points per year (late August, mid November, late February, and late May). Once an admission file is complete, admissions decisions are usually reached within 30 days, often less.
CLU grants conditional admission to applicants who complete an approved English language program in the U.S. and will qualify for a TOEFL waiver. A very popular language program is located on the Cal Lutheran campus. With 4 entry points per year into our graduate programs, conditional admission is an attractive option for international students.
The application process includes the submission and receipt of all documents required for an admissions decision. These documents include an application, a passport sized photo, official transcripts and degree certificates or certified true copies in English of all college and university records (usually sent directly to Cal Lutheran from each institution), the applicant's statement of purpose, 2 letters of recommendation, a financial responsibility statement, a copy of the passport information page, and payment of the application fee. Additional information may be later requested to assist with the admissions decision.
The priority deadline for admission is 90 days prior to the beginning of the term of intended entry. However, due to the small size of classes, immigration requirements, and other matters, early application is strongly recommended. Under special circumstances late applications may be considered.
Cal Lutheran admits highly-qualified and diverse students into its graduate programs. We recognize that the backgrounds of international students often represent a wide array of personal experiences, educational preparation, professional exposure, and individual abilities. As such, each application is extensively reviewed, and all supporting material is carefully considered.
Minimum qualifications for admission include the completion of a bachelor's degree or equivalent from a recognized institution of higher learning. Other requirements include demonstration of quantitative ability, sufficient financial resources to complete the program (as required by U.S. law), and the ability to be successful in an educational environment where English serves as the instructional language.
The Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), International English Language Testing System (IELTS), and Graduate Management Aptitude Test (GMAT), Graduate Record Examination (GRE) are not automatically required but may be requested by Cal Lutheran to assist with an admissions decision. Specific admission requirements are available from the program administrators.
Full-Time international students in graduate programs at Cal Lutheran are offered modern, safe, and pleasant accommodations. View information concerning graduate housing at Cal Lutheran.
Applying to Cal Lutheran
Applications can be completed online or with a printed application. Many applicants begin the process on-line and follow-up the on-line application with original documents sent later by courier or by post. View the online application.
Hard copy application and related forms can be downloaded here.
- Application, including signature of applicant
- Passport sized photo
- Application fee of $50.00 paid by international money order, credit card (MasterCard, Visa) or check drawn on a U.S. Bank
- Official transcripts and degree certificates or certified true copies in English of all college and university records sent directly from each institution to CLU
- If you have taken the TOEFL, IELTS, GMAT or GRE exam, please send copies of any scores you have. Cal Lutheran reserves the right to request TOEFL, IELTS, GMAT or GRE scores to assist in admission decisions, although they are not always required. If available, please send a copy of your score(s) with your application.
- Personal Statement
- Two letters of recommendation from community leaders, business professionals or professors, sent directly to Cal Lutheran or submitted with the application
- Financial Responsibility Statement
- Copy of Passport information page
Submit all materials and direct all inquiries to:
Cal Lutheran Graduate Programs
60 West Olsen Road #2200
Thousand Oaks, California 91360-2700, USA
Tel: +1 805 493-3325
Fax: +1 805 493-3861