Fischer Selected to Team USACLU assistant coach to play for stars and stripes
Posted: Sunday, July 06, 2014 09:13 pm PST
Sam Fischer served as the first base coach for the Regals in 2014 and will play infield for Team USA this summer.
Photo: Tracy Maple
MORGANTOWN, West Va. – Following a 13-day training camp, Cal Lutheran assistant softball coach Sam Fischer was chosen to represent the United States of America as part of the National softball team as announced in late June.
The 17-woman roster was selected at the conclusion of an intensive training camp and exhibition schedule in June.
From July 7-12, Fischer will return to her roots in Southern California to kick off her 2014 campaign with the red, white and blue at the World Cup IX in Irvine, Calif. A number of the games will be broadcast on ESPN.
Next on the schedule for Team USA will be the Canadian Open FP International that will take place just north of the World Cup IX in Surrey, B.C., Canada between July 15-21.
After a cross country trip to Waldorf, Md. where the stars and stripes will participate in a series of Exhibition Games on July 29 the group travels to Europe for the Italian Softball Week from Aug. 6-10 in Azzano, Italy.
The final stop for the squad will be the culmination of a summer filled with international contests. Team USA will play at the ISF XIV Women’s World Championships in Haarlem, Netherlands beginning Aug. 12 and spanning 12 days with the title game set for Aug. 24.
Fischer will contribute as an infielder in 2014. You can listen to an interview with her here.
- $4 million to fund Cal Lutheran art center
- Colorado poet to speak at Cal Lutheran
- Cal Lutheran names new education dean
- Cal Lutheran Symphony concludes season
- Oscar-winning German film to be shown
- Speaker to discuss leaving the mob
- Newsman's daughter to speak March 12
- Author of book on race relations to speak
- Cal Lutheran to present 'Saxomania!'
- Film examines women's images in ads