Kingsmen Win Big in SCIAC OpenerCLU storms past Occidental
Posted: Wednesday, October 03, 2012 08:07 pm PST
Hunter Hamaker (L) and Derrick Graham (R) were both key contributors today as CLU opened league play with a win.
Photo: Tracy Maple
LOS ANGELES, Calif. – As they proved in preseason games against league rivals, the No. 2 Cal Lutheran men’s water polo team is prepared for Southern California Intercollegiate Athletic Conference action. Today they opened conference play with an impressive 20-12 lashing of Occidental on the road.
CLU jumped out to an early 4-1 lead and never looked back. The Kingsmen outscored the Tigers 6-3 in both the second and third quarters and added four more, allowing five, in the final stanza.
Twelve different players scored as both Hunter Hamaker and Max Zappas recorded hat-tricks with three goals apiece. Additionally, Spencer McGrath, Kyle Norheim, Dejan Novakovic, George Hong and Nate Ortega each netted a pair.
Mike Potter handed out two assists for the Kingsmen. Rounding out the CLU goals were AJ Franklin, Shea Craig, Graham Jameson and Neil Cadra.
Defensively Hamaker and Norheim each tallied four steals while both McGrath and Derrick Graham finished with three. Goalkeeper Danny Mock, who played the entire game, came away with a steal as well, blocking 12 shots.
Cal Lutheran (6-6, 1-0) will be back at the Samuelson Aquatics Center tomorrow, Thursday, Oct. 4 when they host Mercyhurst for a non-conference contest at 4:00 p.m.
- KCLU receives 5 Golden Mikes for news
- Talks to explore threats to intelligent life
- Cal Lutheran professor, inventor dies
- Cal Lutheran to mark Chinese New Year
- Chinese artists to participate in residency
- 2 receive Cal Lutheran Inspiration Awards
- Interfaith discussion of drought slated
- Cal Lutheran symposium explores Iceland
- Free concert to feature Hispanic music
- 'Piano Man' to perform at Cal Lutheran