Streak at Seven as Regals Roll Past Athenas to Remain Unbeaten in SCIACCLU continues winning ways
Posted: Wednesday, October 03, 2012 10:54 pm PST
Taylor Will is now tied for the SCIAC lead in golas scored this fall.
Photo: Tracy Maple
CLAREMONT, Calif. – Two goals coming in the first 20 minutes and stingy defense throughout was all the Cal Lutheran women’s soccer team would need to get past conference foe Claremont-Mudd-Scripps tonight at Pritzlaff Field, winning 2-0.
Despite all three senior captains, Kristen DiPippo, Kristin Cameron, and Nicole Rains, sitting out, the Regals got off to a fast start when Taylor Will scored her SCIAC leading seventh goal of the season in the 17th minute on a penalty-kick.
The Regals would strike again just four minutes later as Mayra Virgen gave CLU an insurance goal when she beat the CMS goalkeeper on a hard-low shot to make it 2-0.
Even with three defenders out, CLU captured its fifth shutout in the last six games. The shutout also gives Kristin Bailey her seventh in 12 games this season. The leading goal-keeper in the SCIAC has been brilliant of late, only allowing one goal in the last 628 minutes of play.
With the win, CLU improves to 7-0 in SCIAC play to sit atop the leaderboard. Claremont-Mudd-Scripps (6-4, 5-2 SCIAC) falls to third place in the SCIAC standings.
Cal Lutheran (10-2, 7-0) returns to action Saturday, Oct. 6, when they travel to La Verne to take on the Leopards at 7:00 p.m.
Box Score: CLU 2, CMS 0
- Cal Lutheran honors longtime supporter
- Cal Lutheran exhibit features alumni art
- Documentary explores meaning of death
- Cal Lutheran to host candidate debate
- Cal Lutheran art exhibit explores dark side
- Show celebrates 3 Latin American women
- Q&A to feature 'One Tree Hill' actor
- Seminar explores Norway's Constitution
- Cal Lutheran to show Oscar-winning film
- Cal Lutheran brings back Books and Brew