Regals Use Second Half Goals for WinCLU earns eighth SCIAC victory
Posted: Saturday, October 06, 2012 09:53 pm PST
Mayra Virgen had a goal and an assist against La Verne on the road tonight.
Photo: Tracy Maple
LA VERNE, Calif. – Cal Lutheran women’s soccer remained undefeated in SCIAC play tonight by way of two second half goals en route to a 2-1 victory over the La Verne Leopards. Teams were scoreless after the first half of play before both squads found the back of the net.
Mayra Virgen was instrumental in both, serving the ball to Kristina Hulse for the first score of the game in the 72nd minute before scoring an unassisted goal of her own in the 80th minute, which was the ultimate game winner.
ULV would cut the deficit in half at the 82:46 mark when Katie Careaga scored on a pass from Olga Saldivar.
Cal Lutheran controlled the game, firing off 26 shots, limiting the Leos to just five. The Regals earned 10 corner kicks and the Leopards finished with just four. ULV had only two shots on goal and Kristin Bailey finished with one save.
It was a physical game that saw four combined yellow cards and 31 fouls.
Cal Lutheran (11-2, 8-0) will be back on the field tomorrow when they host their final non-conference game of the season. CLU and play Austin College will meet at Mt. Clef Stadium at 12:00 p.m.
Box Score: CLU 2, ULV 1
- First CLU Central Coast cohort to graduate
- CLU's 50th commencement set for May 18
- CLU Graduate Commencement is May 17
- KCLU radio expands along Central Coast
- Longtime CLU biology professor dies
- KCLU wins national journalism award
- Professor to become Honorary Alumnus
- Ball State choir to perform at CLU May 11
- CLU screens movie about war on drugs
- CLU presents third annual PRISM concert