Regals Third in TennesseeCLU competes in non-conference tournament
Posted: Monday, April 15, 2013 04:58 pm PST
There was no better way for McKay Weiler to spend her birthday than on the links.
Photo: Jeff Lindgren
GERMANTOWN, Tenn. – Today the Cal Lutheran women’s golf team opened up their third out-of-state tournament of the spring. At the Rhodes Invitational, being played at the Windyke Country Club, the Violet and Gold earned a third place finish with a 333 in a tough field of competition hosted by Rhodes (Tenn.).
To celebrate her birthday, McKay Weiler turned in her lowest competitive round for the Regals by shooting a 78 to tie for third in the individual standings. She shared the round lead with 11 pars through 18 holes as she shot a 38 on the front nine before coming back in 40 strokes.
Devon Meredith used a pair of birdies and seven pars to finish second on the squad with an 83, which also puts her tied for 10th in the field.
Joining Meredith by also paring seven holes was Danika Cochiolo. She was consistent today, shooting a 43 going out and coming back to finish with an 86. After opening with a 41, Aida Mahfood used a 45 on the back nine to tie teammate Cochiolo for 16th overall.
Golfing as an individual, Lisa Borgialli shot a 98 today.
Leading the team standings after the opening day is Centre (310) followed by host Rhodes (321) and Cal Lutheran (333). Rounding out the teams are Huntingdon (350), Millsaps (381) and Hendrix (431).
All athletes will round out the tournament tomorrow with tee times set for 8:00 a.m. at the Windyke Country Club.
- Vocal concert blends sounds of 3 faiths
- MIT award goes to CLU lecturer's team
- Cal Lutheran students head back to class
- Cal Lutheran opens year with convocation
- Edison International CEO to kick off series
- Awards help CLU expand interfaith efforts
- CLU exhibit depicts self-discovery journey
- CLU spotlights Santa Ynez Valley artist
- Antibiotic resistance in waterways studied
- CLU pledges to increase study abroad