Transfer Credit Articulation
California Lutheran University accepts college-level course work from regionally accredited institutions.
- Courses, which are technical, vocational or personal enrichment in nature, are not transferable.
- Courses which are transferable but do not meet general education or major requirements will be credited as elective credits and will be counted toward the total number of units needed for graduation.
- Courses from colleges that are not regionally accredited are not transferable without a petition.
- A maximum of 70 transferable semester credits may be transferred from the community college level.
- All two-year and community college courses transfer as lower-division credit regardless of upper-division equivalency.
- All students must complete at least 124 semester units to graduate from Cal Lutheran including their general education and major/minor requirements and at least 40 of these must be upper division (300 or 400 level courses).
- Students transferring to Cal Lutheran as a senior must complete all of our general education and major/minor requirements and satisfy the residency requirement.
- Pass/Fail or Credit/No Credit courses may not be used to meet general education or major requirements.
Contact the Office of the Registrar for specific questions about transferring courses from four-year institutions.
Matriculated (currently enrolled)
Cal Lutheran students must submit Transfer Approval Form prior to taking courses to the Registrar’s office.
Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC)
Students transferring from California community colleges who, prior to transfer to CLU, have fully satisfied the Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC) need only complete the foreign language requirement and one religion course to meet the CORE-21 general education requirements.
Lower Divison Major Curriculum Equivalents
- Biochemistry & Molecular Biology
- Business Administration (Emphasis Required)
- Communication (Emphasis Required)
- Computer Information Systems
- Computer Science
- Criminal Justice
- Environmental Science
- Exercise Science (Emphasis Required)
- Global Studies
- History (Emphasis Optional)
- History Pedagogy
- Interdisciplinary (Requires Dean Approval)
- Liberal Studies (Emphasis Required in Consultation with Department Chair)
- Marketing Communication
- Multimedia (Emphasis Required 2009-present)
- Music (Emphasis Optional)
- Music Production
- Political Science (Emphasis Required)
- Psychology (Emphasis Optional)
- Theatre Arts (Emphasis Required)
- Theology & Christian Leadership (Emphasis Required)