5th Annual Violence and Victimization Conference On School Violence
California Lutheran University's Department of Criminal Justice and Legal Studies is sponsoring their 5th Annual Violence and Victimization Conference on School Violence. The one day conference will provide a skills-based foundation in understanding the causes and responses to school violence. Topics include: bullying, security procedures, identifying threats, prevention strategies, and legal and liability issues. The conference is geared towards teachers, secondary and college administrators, counselors, and campus safety and security personnel. The presenters include representatives from the Federal Bureau of Investigation, labor law attorneys, law enforcement, and school resource officers.
April 4, 2013
8:00am - 4:30pm
Register by March 26
Conference registration fee is $25.00 - Registration includes continental breakfast, lunch, instructional materials and certificate of attendance. Registration and continental breakfast will take place from 7:30am -8:00am.
- Jeffrey Cugno, Special Agent, FBI
- Jaffe D. Dickerson, J.D., Littler Mendelson, Employment and Labor Law Attorney
- Daniel L. Gonzalez, J.D., Littler Mendelson, Employment and Labor Law Attorney Sergeant
- Nancy Wilkey, Orange County Sheriffs - Juvenile Services Bureau
- Deputy Quyen T. Vuong, Orange County Sheriffs - Juvenile Services Bureau
Presented by: The Department of Criminal Justice and Legal Studies at CLU.
Contributing sponsor: Center for Equality and Justice at CLU.
Topics covered throughout the day. (4 Sessions)
Sessions will include case hypotheticals and/or interactive exercises.
Jaffe Dickerson J.D., and Daniel Gonzalez J.D. - Littler Mendelson, Employment & Labor Law Solutions Worldwide
Mr. Dickerson and Mr. Gonzalez will discuss how campus legal requirements and restrictions come into play in dealing with a potential threating situation.
- Access to student records (FERPA restrictions)
- Access to campus medical records (HIPAA restrictions)
- Access to electronic communications (Stored Communications Act)
- Protected speech and privacy rights (First and Fourth Amendments and Social Media Policies)
Jeffrey Cugno – Special Agent, FBI
Agent Cugno's presentation will addresses the following topics:
- School Violence- historical perspective
- Empirical data of school shootings and School shooter profile
- Popular culture influence
- Copycat phenomenon
- Threat assessment and Threat management
Sergeant Nancy Wilkey and Deputy Quyen T. Vuong - Orange County Sheriffs- Juvenile Services Bureau
Sergeant Wilkey and Deputy Vuong will cover the following topics:
- Types of bullying, cyber-fighting, letters, texting, written and verbal
- Prevention and responses to school violence and bullying
- New laws on school campuses
- Recent legislation passed on school violence and bullying
- Prevention/ ways to monitor computers, websites, social networks
- Training on bullying issues
Panel discussion with all of the speakers