Summer Orientation to Academic Resources
August 3, 2014-August 8, 2014
What is the SOAR program?
The Summer Orientation to Academic Resources program is a summer orientation program that incoming SSS freshmen and transfer students are invited to attend. The goals are to:
- Give participants an orientation to a college environment and provide them with opportunities to connect with other first-generation students;
- Assist participants in the process of academic exploration by introducing them to relevant resources and challenging them to examine their values and interests;
- Facilitate participants' transition to a college environment and to track their adjustment through the SSS Student Leadership Program;
- Provide parents of the incoming students with an opportunity to ask questions and gain information about their child's academic journey.
Eligible students can apply each Summer for a limited number of spaces. To be eligible, applicants must be an incoming student to CLU and be:
- A first-generation college student; meaning that both parents have not completed a 4-year bachelor's degree,
- Meet specific financial guidelines set forth by the U.S. Department of Education
- A student with a disability
- OR meet a combination of the above factors.
If you meet these requirements and would like to request information about the SOAR program, please contact the SSS Office at (805) 493-3535 or by email at email@example.com.