As part of joining the Cal Lutheran community, all first-year students are asked to participate in a common reading.
To prepare for your work in the first-year seminar, we’d like you to read and reflect on Tim O'Brien's "The Things They Carried" before arriving on campus in August. This book will be mailed to you over summer.
Past Summer Readings
- 2014: Morten Lauridsen, Waldron Island Reflections
- 2013: Peter Balakian, Black Dog of Fate
- 2012: Rodes Fishburne, Going to See the Elephant
- 2011: Sonia Nazario, Enrique's Journey
- 2010: Kao Kalia Yang, The Latehomecomer
- 2009: Tim O'Brien, The Things They Carried
- 2008: Julie Otsuka, When the Emperor was Divine
- 2007: Jonathan Safron Foer, Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close