As part of joining the Cal Lutheran community, all first-year students are asked to participate in a common reading.
To prepare for your work in the first-year seminar, we’d like you to read and reflect on the book before arriving on campus in August.
Past Summer Readings
- 2014: Morten Lauridsen, Waldron Island Reflections
- 2013: Peter Balakian, Black Dog of Fate
- 2012: Rodes Fishburne, Going to See the Elephant
- 2011: Sonia Nazario, Enrique's Journey
- 2010: Kao Kalia Yang, The Latehomecomer
- 2009: Tim O'Brien, The Things They Carried
- 2008: Julie Otsuka, When the Emperor was Divine
- 2007: Jonathan Safron Foer, Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close