Cost, Fees and Financial Aid
Financing study abroad is possible!
Study abroad is not as expensive as you think. Programs exist for every budget, and many scholarships for study abroad are available. Search the internet, ask professors, check with local organizations. You may be eligible for federal and/or private loans which can be used to cover the additional cost of a study abroad program. All students issued acceptance letters will be enrolled in the program for which they have been accepted and will be responsible for paying tuition and fees for the program.
How financial aid works for each program category
- Student pays regular tuition and fees to Cal Lutheran.
- Student retains Cal Lutheran financial aid package, including State/Federal aid, grants, loans, as well as Cal Lutheran-specific scholarships, awards, and grants.
- Work-study does not apply while abroad.
- Student pays provider tuition and fees.
- Cal Lutheran processes financial aid. Federal/State aid and loans can be used toward program costs, but Cal Lutheran grants and scholarships cannot.
- Student pays provider directly.
- Cal Lutheran does not process financial aid for external programs, so student must apply for assistance through the particular program.
Study Abroad Registration Fee
A $200 enrollment fee is applied to your student account on April 15 for summer and fall terms, and November 15 for the spring term. This administrative fee confirms your participation in your chosen program and facilitates the study abroad process.
Students who wish to withdraw or defer must complete the Cal Lutheran Study Abroad Center Withdrawal/Deferral form which must be signed by the Study Abroad Director. Students who withdraw or defer their participation after April 15 for summer and fall terms or November 15 for the spring term will not be refunded the $200 Study Abroad Registration Fee.
Links to study abroad scholarships
Cal Lutheran Study Abroad Scholarship (Deadline is October 15 for spring programs)
FH JOANNEUM (CLU Program-Covers all cost)
Freeman-ASIA (deadline is October 10 for spring)
Gilman Scholarship for Study Abroad (For Pell Grant recipients-the deadline is October 4 for spring)