Possible Outcomes of an International Experience
Incorporate Your Study Abroad Experience
We have provided information from the Lessons From Abroad: Study Abroad Returnee Conference in conjunction with Maximizing Study Abroad: A Students' Guide to Strategies for Language and Culture Learning and Use to help during your adjustment home.
After spending a travel seminar, summer, semester, or year abroad, your skills have ultimately increased. You just may not be sure exactly how. Possible Outcomes of an International Experience can help give an idea of how many students change and incorporate into their daily life after time abroad. Take a look to get ideas on ways you have grown and how to incorporate that into a resume, preparing for an interview, or just reflecting on your time abroad.
Regardless of how long or short your time abroad may be, it will stay with you the rest of your life. Suggestions have been provided on how to transform your study abroad experience into Life-Long Learning After Study Abroad.
- Understand cultural differences and similarities
- Adapt to new environments
- Learn through listening and observing
- Establish rapport quickly
- Functions with a high level of ambiguity
- Take initiative and risks
- Utilize time management skills
- Identify problems and utilize available resources to solve the problem
- Accept responsibility
- Communicate despite barriers
- Learn quickly
- Handle difficult situations
- Handle stress
- Lead others in formal/informal groups
- Conduct research despite landguage and cultural differences
- Cope with rejection
- High energy level/enthusiasm
- Appreciation of diversity