Initiatives: Information Technology
- CLU has implemented the use of PowerSave software that saves power when computers are on but not being used (see here and here for the latest results). The ISS department worked with Southern California Edison to obtain this software and install it on all lab computers, and is in the process of rolling it out to all office computers.
- E-Waste – ISS uses proper methods for disposal of e-waste, including batteries, cell phones, and computer components. Some personal computers are re-cycled to k-12 schools after removing all CLU data and software. If the equipment has no additional useful life, it is recycled by an e-waste recycler.
- Server Virtualization – Rather than have single applications running on individual servers, ISS uses special software to turn one physical server into several virtual (server) environments. The benefit is to reduce the number of servers as well as reduce the amount of energy consumed.
- Working with the student senate, ISS obtained and installed a double-sided network printer in the library. The default option is double-sided printing, which so far has saved a lot of paper!
- CLU purchases only Energy Star certified computers and monitors, and has replaced all CRT monitors with more efficient flat-screen displays.