What is Sustainability at CLU?
It's a way of life, and has been for some time! But now it has become a coordinated effort, summarized in "The Path Forward", California Lutheran University's Sustainability Action Plan established in 2009.
The California Lutheran University Sustainability Council was established to integrate the needs and perspectives from all campus constituencies. The Council established the following key objectives:
- Work towards climate neutrality.
- Commit to a 5% reduction in campus energy usage for 2010 and continuing reduction efforts.
- Reduce the negative effects of air and ground travel related to CLU's activities.
- Continue to improve and promote waste reduction efforts on campus.
- Continue water use reduction programs.
- Promote sustainable procurement.
- New buildings and landscape will incorporate sustainable features, with academic buildings targeted as LEED certified to maximize the potential to provide education on sustainability.
- Increase the inclusion of climate neutrality and sustainability in the curriculum.