Requirement: Reduce the overall consumption of potable water by the building and site landscaping.
Water reducing strategies were implemented for both the building and the site landscaping and irrigation
- Water Efficient Landscaping
- The heart of the water saving technology is a weather-based evapotranspiration controller. The controller gathers local evapotranspiration weather data daily and continuously self-adjusts the schedule so that watering takes place only when the plants need it.
- Separate irrigation bubblers are used at the trees to encourage deeper roots which allows them to withstand extended drought conditions.
- Use of native plants. The native plants used are very drought tolerant and can have their water reduced further as they mature.
- Reduce Building Water Use by Installing Low Flow Facilities:
- Dual-flush valves on the toilets use only 1.1/1.6 gallons per flush. The low flush is positioned to be "down" on the handle, maximizing the potential to have the low flush used.
- "One-pint flush" urinals.
- Lavatory faucets meter water at 0.5 gpm and shut off automatically.
- Overall water savings calculated at 36.9% over standard fixtures.