Cal Lutheran Sunday
Cal Lutheran Sunday is celebrated in the congregations of Region 2 of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America. The focus of the service is upon Lutheran higher education and specifically Lutheran higher education at California Lutheran University located in Thousand Oaks, California. Speakers and displays of University materials will be featured during the worship hour. For more information, please contact us.
Promotional Materials & Text
Founded in 1959, Cal Lutheran is part of a 500-year-old tradition of Lutheran higher education — a tradition that expects you to ask the big questions — and find your own answers. Encouraging critical inquiry into matters of both faith and reason, Cal Lutheran is dedicated to excellence at the undergraduate and graduate levels. Our intimate size and beautiful location create the perfect setting for lively debate, and a learning environment that values the individual. California Lutheran University is partnered in ministry with the 710 congregations in Region 2.
A prayer for Cal Lutheran Sunday
Lord, we are thankful to those whose dreams and lives have been involved in the mission to build an educational experience guided by the "Love of Christ, Truth, and Freedom." We ask that you continue to lead the community of California Lutheran University in their ministry "to provide youth the benefits of a Christian education." Guide this university as they strive to prepare young adults for the future. Continue to use and bless all ministries that stretch faith and teach a sense of dedicated service such as campus ministries and the universities of the Church such as California Lutheran University. Amen.
Ways you can keep Cal Lutheran growing
- Remember the ministry of Cal Lutheran during the Prayers of the church in your public worship at least monthly.
- Encourage your children and grandkids to attend Cal Lutheran and promise them financial and moral support.
- Promote a Cal Lutheran Sunday at your congregation utilizing the many resources created to help share the message of the school.
- Invite the choir, musical ensemble, or a guest speaker for a weekend at your congregation, conference, or synod event.
- Congregations provide a scholarship for students from their area to be matched by the university.
- Encourage members of your congregation to consider a special gift in support of a favorite program at Cal Lutheran. (For example, Campus Ministry.)
- Send your youth group to have a campus visit and expose them to a world of possibilities.