Coronavirus Information

Official updates regarding the current status of the COVID-19 virus and its impact on the university community.

Cal Lutheran’s top priority is the safety and well-being of its students and employees. Staff from throughout the university are working together to ensure a coordinated, timely and appropriate response to this evolving situation. We are closely monitoring developments locally, nationally and internationally and following the guidance of state and local public health departments and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). We have developed comprehensive plans to address multiple possible scenarios, and we will implement them as needed in order to protect our community.

This website will be updated as information related to Cal Lutheran’s situation changes.

Last updated: Friday, April 3, 11:32 p.m.


COVID-I9 Testing Policy

Anyone who is tested for COVID-19 or told by a healthcare provider that they likely have COVID-19, even if they are not tested, should report it to Cal Lutheran as soon as possible.

For Students

Notify Kerri Lauchner, Director of Health Services, at

For Faculty & Staff

Notify Human Resources at



Frequently Asked Questions

General FAQs
Have there been any COVID-19 cases within the Cal Lutheran community?

One person has tested positive, but there is no threat to our campus community. The person last visited a university facility, a satellite center, on March 10 and didn't experience symptoms until March 23. Based on the length of time between the person's visit to the center and the appearance of symptoms, the Ventura County Public Health Department does not think that there was any risk of exposure to the Cal Lutheran community. We are taking every precaution recommended by county, state and federal authorities and more out of an abundance of caution so that we don't contribute to community transmission of the virus. Our priority is the well-being of our students, staff and faculty and the community in which we reside.

How is Cal Lutheran going to be able to weather this economic storm?

Like higher education institutions throughout the world, Cal Lutheran will be impacted financially by the COVID-19 crisis, but we are in strong position to keep moving forward. While a few colleges announced recently they would be closing, those were institutions that had been struggling financially for years. Cal Lutheran is not in that position. Our university sets aside reserves in the budget each year in case of an emergency, and what we are experiencing right now definitely qualifies. So, we have the financial resources to help us weather this storm. We also expect to receive funding from the recently approved federal stimulus package known as the CARES Act, although we don’t know how much or how long it will take to receive those funds. Depending on how long this situation lasts, we may need to look at ways to further increase our operational efficiencies down the road. Maintaining employment at Cal Lutheran will continue to be a priority. We will remain open and operating, albeit temporarily in a very different way. Our students are still learning, faculty are still teaching and advising them, and staff members are still supporting them. People throughout the entire Cal Lutheran community are being innovative and helping us find our way through these challenges. We are in good shape and plan to stay that way.


Read the CDC website for basic information about COVID-19:
What is the status of spring semester classes?

As the COVID-19 situation has intensified and recommended restrictions have increased, Cal Lutheran has made the difficult decision to continue virtual instruction through the end of the spring 2020 semester.

What if I don't have a computer or internet access or need technical help?

We will continue to provide internet and computer access to students who need it. We surveyed students' needs for computer and internet access, whether on campus or at home, and have been working to find solutions for everyone. Charter is offering free Spectrum broadband and wi-fi access for 60 days to college students whose households don't already have a Spectrum broadband subscription. Installation fees will be waived. To enroll, call 1-844-488-8395. For more information on Charter's offer, click here. If you need access to a computer, the internet or software or technical help, contact Cal Lutheran's Help Desk at or 805-493-3698.

When is Spring Break?

Spring Break has been moved up one week to March 21-29 at the suggestion of many students to allow time to deal with all of the changes. Classes will meet April 6-9, when Spring Break was previously scheduled. Good Friday, April 10, will still be a holiday, and classes will resume after Easter on the morning of April 13. This schedule holds not only for traditional undergraduate students, but also for students on 11-week and 8-week schedules who do not normally have a Spring Break. The shorter terms are for the Bachelor's Degree for Professionals and many of our graduate programs.

Adjusting to all these changes is difficult. Will there be any flexibility academically? Will faculty members still be available?

We have asked faculty members to be flexible and understanding with students. Please be understanding with faculty members as well, as they transition to teaching in new formats. We have also changed our policy for the spring semester to enable all students – in traditional undergraduate, Bachelor's Degree for Professionals and graduate programs – to request a pass/no credit option for any course through May 11. The policy applies to any course including those that satisfy Core 21 and major/minor requirements. Veterans, students considering graduate school and those participating in employment reimbursement programs have special circumstances to take into account. Details are available here. Students should contact faculty members if they have problems relating to a class, allowing at least 24 hours for a response. If students cannot get in touch with a faculty member or are unable to resolve their issue, they can contact Academic Affairs at

What should I do if I am concerned about meeting requirements for an internship, a capstone, or a credential, counseling or doctoral program?

Contact your faculty adviser or program director or dean. Psychology graduate student clinicians are training on a telehealth system that will allow them to hold sessions remotely from their homes.

Is Pearson Library open?

No. If you need assistance from the library staff, email Computers are available in the Student Union. If you need access to a computer when the Student Union is closed, contact Academic Affairs at After surveying students, we will develop a new plan for providing computer access to meet their needs.

How can I get assistance from Pearson Library staff or access to materials for homework?

Library staff are available online. You can schedule research consultations with librarians here. All other questions can be sent to An updated list of resources and services, including how to access Course Reserve items, can be found on the Library Alerts & Resources Guide.

How can I get assistance from the Math Center and Writing Center?

Staff in the Math Center and Writing Center will continue to provide tutoring services by email and Zoom teleconferencing. To request online tutoring from the Math Center, fill out this online form. To schedule an appointment with the Writing Center, go to this website and click on Schedule an Appointment.

What will happen with Festival of Scholars?

We are looking at possibly holding a virtual Festival of Scholars, so continue submitting abstracts through March 29.

Will Cal Lutheran return to in-person classes in summer?

With the COVID-19 situation being so fluid, it is too early to know. We are looking at alternatives in case we can't have in-person classes.

Are there any changes to registration for fall semester?

Registration for the fall semester is continuing on schedule.. We have waived the advisement requirement, although it is still recommended.

Will part of tuition and/or fees be refunded because classes are being held virtually?

No. Our accomplished faculty members are still teaching their classes and advising students, and our dedicated staff are still providing services, and we continue to pay them to do so. Moving classes to virtual formats required additional work and costs this semester.

Residence Life & Meal Plans
Why are you asking students to move out of the residence halls as soon as possible?

In light of Gov. Gavin Newsom's March 19 order for Californians to stay home except for essential needs, we decided to encourage our remaining residential students to move out as soon as they can. There have not been any Cal Lutheran-related cases of COVID-19, but we need to thin out our on-campus population in order to reduce the risk of the virus being transmitted here. This is part of social distancing, which public health officials have said is key to slowing the spread of the virus so that healthcare resources do not get overwhelmed..  

What is the process for moving out of residence halls?
  • Residence halls will be closing on March 31 at 5 p.m. All students, including those who have already departed campus, need to fill out the online Check-Out Form indicating their anticipated move-out date and time. The form can be found here.
  • Residents need to move all of their belongings out of their residence hall and ensure their room is cleaned by this deadline. Family and friends can come on campus to assist with this.
  • RAs will be delivering additional move-out information and envelopes in which students should return room keys for each room the week of March 17.  Keys should be dropped off in the lockbox outside of the Residence Life Office upon vacating your residence hall.
  • More details can be found here.
Can I leave belongings on campus instead of taking them home or putting them in storage?

Students on campus can't leave their belongings behind, but they can contact Residence Life at if they need help with special circumstances. U-Haul is offering 30 days of free of self-storage to college students impacted by COVID-19. For more information on U-Haul's offer, click here. Students who would need to return to campus to pick up their belongings are welcome to leave them here until Gov. Newsom's order ends.

What if I left campus and can't return in time to move out by March 31?

Contact Residence Life at, and they will work with you to make other arrangements.

What if I urgently need something from my room and I won't be returning to move out until after Gov. Newsom's order ends?

Contact Residence Life at

What if I can't leave the residence hall?

We will continue to house any students who need to stay in the residence halls through May 15. You have a home here, and we will support your needs. If students do not have a home outside of Cal Lutheran or are otherwise unable to travel home due to COVID-19, please contact to inquire about the Continued Housing Contract application. In order to best protect students and staff, students will remain in their current room assignment. They will have the option to cancel or change their meal plan through 5 p.m. March 31. Everyone will have access to a kitchen and Ullman Dining will continue to provide to-go meals for those who want them. Students may not host any outside guests in their residence hall.

Will students receive a refund for room and meal charges?

Housing: Cal Lutheran is providing a prorated credit of six weeks out of the 15-week semester for room charges to undergraduate residential students who vacate the residence halls no later than March 31, 2020. Eligible students will be issued a 40% housing credit on their student account. Graduate residential students who move out no later than March 31, 2020, are also eligible for a prorated housing credit based on the term length of their housing agreement.

Housing Deposits: The housing deposit of $400 will be credited for non-continuing students at a later date once Residence Life staff have inspected the vacated rooms to ensure all personal belongings have been removed and there is no damage to the suite. Inspections will not begin until late April for those suites where all students have removed all of their personal belongings.

Meal Plans: Undergraduate students with meal plans will receive a 40% credit for the semester unless they are remaining in campus housing with an active meal plan after March 31. Combo plans, flex credits and Munch Money credit information will be communicated once details with Sodexo have been finalized.

Refunds: The Office of Student Accounts will begin posting the housing and meal plan credits to the individual student account balances on April 1.  Any surplus balance on the account will be applied to summer or fall charges for continuing students. Returning students with a surplus account balance may request a refund once the credits have been posted to the account by contacting Student Accounts. If a student is not returning to Cal Lutheran in Fall 2020, a refund of any surplus balance by direct deposit or check will be processed. Please allow up to three weeks from the date a student’s account goes into a refund status to receive the funds due to revised office schedules to ensure social distancing of our employees. If you have additional questions, please contact Student Accounts at​

What if I am having trouble arranging travel home?

Any students who need help arranging travel for their return home can contact Associate Director of Student Life Jaime Faucher at 805-493-3871.

Will summer housing continue as planned?

We don't know yet. We will update students as soon as we know.

How can I talk to Residence Life staff?

Call 805-493-3220. The Residence Life Office is closed, but staff are working remotely.

View more FAQs for residential students


What is the status of the  2020 Commencement ceremonies?

Because the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has recommended that all in-person events with 50 or more people be canceled for at least eight weeks and those with 10 or more people for 15 days, we have canceled all such in-person events through May 20. Unfortunately, that means that our traditional in-person Commencement ceremonies cannot be held in May. We will hold virtual ceremonies during the weekend of May 15-16. We will also hold in-person Commencement ceremonies at a later date. We will do the same for PLTS. The Commencement Committee is busy working out the details, and we will share them as soon as possible. The Class of 2020 has accomplished and been through a lot. The students deserve a way to celebrate, and we will find ways to recognize and congratulate them.

Can I still order a cap and gown for photos? Can I get a refund for an order I already placed?

You can still order a cap and gown online through Jostens. Students who want to return their cap and gown or have questions regarding regalia should email Campus Store Manager Anna Wells at

How can I get the cords I earned and ordered?

We are working on this issue and should have an answer soon.

Will graduation fees be refunded because in-person Commencement ceremonies will not be held in May?

Graduation fees not only go to part of the cost of Commencement ceremonies, but also to diplomas, transcripts and other costs not related to the ceremonies. And Commencement ceremonies will still be held. Virtual ceremonies will be held in May, and in-person ceremonies will be held at a later date. If costs decrease, we could refund a portion of the fee.

Campus Facilities & Hours
Where can I eat on campus?

Ullman Dining is providing takeout meals to students living on campus who want them. People can not eat at tables inside or outside the establishments. The Habit, Starbucks, Ullman To Go and Jamba Juice are closed. The Ventura County Public Health Department ordered that permanent food facilities only offer food via pickup for takeout dining, delivery or drive-through. For questions, contact Patti Yantzer at 805-493-3204 or

Are the Forrest Fitness Center and Samuelson Aquatics Center open?

No. The Ventura County Public Health Department has ordered that fitness and aquatic centers be closed through April 1, so the Forrest Fitness Center and Samuelson Aquatics Center are closed. 

Is the Student Union open?


Is the Campus Store still operating?

The physical store is closed. The website is operating and is offering free ground shipping on all orders. It is also offering free e-book access.

How can I return rental books to the Campus Store if I have already moved out?

You can access shipping labels through your rental account. Log in to From the My Account screen, choose the Rentals option. Check the box next to each rental to be returned and select CHECK-IN. The Return by Mail screen displays. Select Continue and the Generate Your Return Label screen will display. Shipping is free through FedEx Ground.

Are Cal Lutheran's Woodland Hills, Westlake Village, Oxnard and Santa Maria centers open?

They are all closed.

What is the status of Pacific Lutheran Theological Seminary in Berkeley?

The seminary facility is closed. Classes and events are being offered virtually.

Health Services
What should students and community members do to protect themselves?
  • Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, especially after going to the bathroom; before eating; and after blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing.
  • If soap and water are not readily available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol. Always wash hands with soap and water if hands are visibly dirty.
  • Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
  • Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth.
  • Stay home when you are sick.
  • Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.
  • Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces using a regular household cleaning spray or wipe.
What should students do if they have cold or flu symptoms?
  • If symptoms are mild to moderate, like with most colds, we recommend treating yourself with rest, fluids, and over-the-counter cold & flu medications.
  • If you have a fever or cough, please call our office at (805) 493-3225 before you come in to discuss your symptoms and to determine if you should be seen at Health Services.
  • If you develop shortness of breath, call your doctor and seek care immediately.
How is Health Services operating?
  • Students need to make an appointment before coming into Health Services for any reason. Students can contact Health Services by calling 805-493-3225 or emailing Staff will do their best to answer or return calls and emails in a timely manner.
  • Health Services continues to see students the same day or next day when an appointment is needed. If they continue to see the recent increase in usage and calls, they will need to initiate triaging calls and handle some medical issues over the phone. They are prepared to delay routine physicals and some non-urgent visits and make other changes to their schedule to best serve our most ill students. Health Services will also explore tele-health visits and any other changes that may be recommended by public health authorities. Call the office if you are concerned about medication refills or to find a provider.
  • Health Services is working very hard to keep the community healthy and take care of students and their medical needs. The staff appreciates any steps students take, such as washing hands frequently and maintaining social distancing, for their own health and the health of those around them. Due to the current situation, the office will no longer be open extended hours on Tuesdays. As of now, the office is open 9 a.m. to noon and 1 to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday, except for Sabbath Hour from 11:15 a.m. to 12:15 p.m. 
Does Health Services have the test for COVID-19?

Health Services has a very limited supply of testing swabs and the protective wear needed to administer them. We can test for COVID-19 through Quest Diagnostics. There are some drive-through clinics for COVID-19, but they do not test everyone and, as of mid-March, are not testing people who don't have symptoms.

Do I need to let anyone at Cal Lutheran know if an off-campus health provider tests me for COVID-19 or tells me I likely have it?

Yes, please email Health Services Director Kerri Lauchner at Do not wait for test results.

Can students get masks at Health Services?

Health Services has a limited supply of surgical masks ONLY for students seen by a provider in our office for respiratory symptoms and for our own staff. Surgical masks only help prevent the spread of respiratory diseases like COVID-19 when worn by a sick person by catching respiratory droplets from that person’s coughs or sneezes. They do not protect healthy individuals from catching the disease. As a result, the CDC and Public Health do NOT recommend surgical mask usage for healthy individuals.

Campus Services & Student Support
Are Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) still available?
  • Yes, but all services are now provided remotely.
  • Staff also are providing phone crisis management. If you are experiencing a psychological emergency, a clinician will be able to assist you during emergency hours 9 a.m. to 10:30 a.m. and 1 to 3:30 p.m. Monday through Friday. 
  • Teletherapy is only available to students residing in California. If you need help finding additional resources or referrals, call CAPS at 805-493-3727 
  • Starting March 30, there will not be any staff in the office. Students can contact CAPS at 805-493-3727. Virtual office hours run from 9 a.m. to noon and 1 to 5 p.m. 
What should I do if I am concerned about another student?

The Campus Awareness, Referral, and Education (CARE) Team remains a resource for any students of concern. If you are worried about the well-being of a peer, you may go to the CARE webpage at or submit a report to

Are Disability Support Services still available?

Yes. Accommodations for students with disabilities will still be delivered, but modifications may need to be made for virtual learning. Contact the office at or 805-493-3464.

Will Student Life activities continue?

Student Life is implementing a series of opportunities to engage virtually, including a Virtual Spirit Week, Leadership Awards, Cultural Graduation and other digital content for students to engage with remotely. Please follow us on Instagram @clustudentlife, on, and on Twitter @clustudentlife.

How can I receive help from Career Services?
  • Career Services will be serving students via phone, email and Skype. The office is also active on Instagram and Facebook so you can message the staff and read the great career-related content they share. The office is closed for in-person meetings with the exception of processing student worker employment paperwork (one at a time to ensure six-foot foot distance between people).  Directions are posted on the front door on how to proceed with on-campus work student job paperwork. For those needing counseling or advising, please complete the “MAKE AN APPOINTMENT” form or “Ask a Question” on our homepage.
  • We will continue to answer career questions, review resumes and cover letters, discuss networking, search for internships, advise on graduate school, conduct mock interviews, assist with salary negotiations, and help students and alumni navigate the current waters when employers are less likely to meet in person.
  • Find over 100+ sample files related to job/internship searches, resume writing, interviews, etc., in the document library under the Resources tab at You can also upload a resume, cover letter or personal statement there for review by a counselor within 48 hours. We still plan to post over 200 jobs weekly.
Is the mailroom still operating?

Yes, mail and packages will continue to be distributed, although we are implementing social-distancing practices to avoid contact between people. The mailroom is open from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Are Campus Safety officers still on campus?

Yes, Campus Safety is continuing to operate on its full shift schedule and keeping its office open from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. daily to keep those who remain on campus safe and be responsive to their needs. Call Campus Safety at 805-493-3208. For emergencies, call Campus Safety at 805-493-3911.

What staff remain on campus to serve students' needs?

Health Services, Residence Life, Campus Safety and Facilities (including housekeeping) staff are among the personnel who will continue working on campus. Facilities staff are operating with "skeleton crews." Others are working from home to continue business operations. Report any immediate facilities needs to Campus Safety at 805-493-3208. If you need assistance from any other office on campus, such as Financial Aid or Student Support Services, begin by calling or emailing that office.

What can I do if COVID-19 has impacted my financial ability to continue my education?

Contact Financial Aid at or 805-493-3115. 

How can I receive care from Campus Ministry?

Campus Ministry will be offering  a number of virtual resources. By visiting the Campus Ministry website, you can request a prayer, set up time to talk one-on-one with a member of the Campus Ministry staff, find opportunities to worship and receive a pep talk.

How do I access food, gift cards and meal swipes from the Community Cupboard inside Samuelson Chapel?

Although the Chapel is locked, the cupboard is still accessible to students by calling Campus Safety at 805-493-3208 between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. Monday through Friday. After 5 p.m. and on weekends, call Campus Safety at 805-493-3911, and they will meet you to let you inside. To receive grocery story gift cards, contact Chris Paul at or the Residence Life Office at or 805-493-3220. To apply for Ullman Commons meal swipes, click here. Note the number of meals per week that you think you will need. Students will be notified by email once meals have been added to their ID card and given instructions on how to use those meals.

Student Employment
How is student employment being handled?
  • If you are able to continue working virtually or in person, you will be allowed to do so. Please make arrangements with your supervisor and fill out your Web Time Entry through WebAdvisor as usual. Students may continue to work up to 15 hours per week.
  • If you are unable to continue working, please contact your supervisor to request Continued Compensation.
  • Effective March 21 through May 15, students will record their pre-approved hours as “emergency closure” on their timecards.

    Continued Compensation Policy (March 21-May 15):

    Students who are unable to work based on social distancing practices or office/housing closures may reach out to their supervisors and request continuing compensation without work through the end of the semester. Student Payroll will assign the student to one of two financial categories based on a student’s historical weekly average of hours worked.

    • The first category will allow students to receive 6 hours per week paid.
    • The second category allows students to receive 9 hours per week paid.

    Students will record their pre-approved hours as “emergency closure” on their time card.

For International Students

Cal Lutheran realizes our international students have special considerations regarding the policies/procedures related to COVID-19.

Read the FAQ from the Office of International Students and Scholars 

For Study Abroad Students

Cal Lutheran requested that all students come home immediately to their residence in the U.S. from their study abroad/away program.

Read the FAQ from the Office of Education Abroad

For Staff
Who should be reporting to work in person?

Those people who have been notified by Ryan Van Ommeren that they need to report to work in person to provide services that are necessary to keep the university running are the only employees who need to be on campus. We request that everyone else remain at home, working remotely to the extent that they can. 

What if I want to access my office?

Employees who periodically need to visit campus as part of essential work can do so if authorized by the president or vice president overseeing their division. Starting April 1, card access to all buildings will be restricted to only those with this authorization. If any other staff members want access after this time, they need to request it in advance by emailing

What if I am an employee who is 65 or older or one with an underlying health condition that makes me more at risk from COVID-19? Can I work from home?

If you are in this category and able to work from home please contact your supervisor to discuss how you will perform your job remotely. If you are in this category and you cannot perform your job remotely, we request you not report to work until further notice and record your time as “Emergency Closure” on your time entry (via Web Time Entry).

What is the plan for the Fredrickson Family Early Childhood Center?

It will be closed as long as Conejo Valley Unified School District schools are closed, which will be through the remainder of the 2019-2020 year.

How should I submit requests for payment if I am working from home?

You can submit all documentation for payment electronically by email. Send scanned copies of the invoice, request for payment, reimbursement request and purchase requisition. An approval response via email will suffice in lieu of the signature on the document. Send the entire email chain with documents and approval to If you have additional questions, email Accounts Payable or call 805-493-3641.

Should employees be concerned about job security?

We are not closing. We are continuing to provide education and services to students, and the faculty and staff are doing great work in spite of the current challenges. We are continuing to employ and pay staff and faculty on a regular basis. The university is still moving forward.

For Faculty

Read the Academic Affairs Continuity Plan to learn about offering your courses in a virtual delivery format

Read the March 9 update on Faculty Preparations for COVID-19

View instructions for accessing the campus VPN

How to forward your Shortel phone calls to your cell phone

Can I come on campus if necessary?

Faculty who periodically need to visit campus as part of essential work can do so if authorized by Provost Leanne Neilson. Starting April 1, card access to all buildings will be restricted to only those with this authorization. If any faculty members want access after this time, they need to request it in advance by emailing

What is the plan for the Fredrickson Family Early Childhood Center?

It will be closed as long as Conejo Valley Unified School District schools are closed, which will be through the remainder of the 2019-2020 year.

How should I submit requests for payment if I am working from home?

You can submit all documentation for payment electronically by email. Send scanned copies of the invoice, request for payment, reimbursement request and purchase requisition. An approval response via email will suffice in lieu of the signature on the document. Send the entire email chain with documents and approval to If you have additional questions, email Accounts Payable or call 805-493-3641.

Should employees be concerned about job security?

We are not closing. We are continuing to provide education and services to students, and the faculty and staff are doing great work in spite of the current challenges. We are continuing to employ and pay staff and faculty on a regular basis. The university is still moving forward.

Other FAQs
What is the status of athletics?

NCAA and SCIAC have canceled winter championships and the spring seasons. NCAA announced it would issue blanket eligibility waivers for student athletes involved in spring sports.

Does this affect the presidential search?

No, the Presidential Search Committee is continuing the process while practicing social distancing. 

Why has Cal Lutheran changed its policies in regard to COVID-19 so many times?

Cal Lutheran administrators are continuously monitoring COVID-19 developments and the recommendations coming from county, state, federal and global agencies. The situation changes daily, sometimes hourly, and we constantly re-evaluate our policies to make sure we are doing everything we should to protect our community. This has led to several changes, and may lead to more. We also plan to hold a virtual PLTS commencement in spring followed by an in-person ceremony at a later date.


Campus Contacts & Resources

Campus Safety
(805) 493-3208

Health Services
(805) 493-3225

Counseling and Psychological Services
(805) 493-3727

Campus Awareness, Referral, and Education (CARE) Team

Campus Minsitry
(805) 493-3228

Center for Global Engagement
(805) 493-3750