CRLP Results: Word Recognition and Fluency
Supporting Implementation of the Common Core State Standards: Foundational Skills (K-5)
This CRLP institute on the Common Core Foundational Skills focuses on what content students need to learn, when it needs to be covered within an overall scope and sequence, and how instruction might be approached. This institute also emphasizes the "Why" behind the "What," the "When," and the"How."
- Understand the CRLP Literacy Framework for Assessment and Instruction and its relationship to the Common Core Foundational Skills.
- Understand the content of the four components of the CCSS Foundational Skills and their importance in learning to read and spell.
- Know how to administer and interpret assessments of letter name knowledge, phonological awareness, phonics, and high frequency irregular sight words.
- Summarize and integrate assessments and use the results to (a) place students in one of four word recognition levels of learning to read and (b) determine an instructional sequence through the remaining word recognition levels using State adopted reading programs.
- Enhance and differentiate word recognition/spelling strategy instruction by planning and preparing to teach tier 1 & 2 MTSS lessons and/or instructional routines using State adopted core programs.
- Understand three kinds of beginning reading materials, how their leveling systems differ, and when they are appropriate to use.
Included in this institute:
- Assessments and instructional implications
- Word recognition and fluency instruction
- Response to intervention and teacher collaboration
- Sample lessons
Upcoming Trainings at California Lutheran University
Fall 2019 Institute Dates
Day 1: September 25, 2019
Day 2: September 26, 2019
Day 3: October 29, 2019
Day 4: December 3, 2019
Spring 2020 Institute Dates
Day 1: January 29, 2020
Day 2: January 30, 2020
Day 3: February 11, 2020
Day 4: March 4, 2020
spring 2020 flyer coming soon
Training will be held from 8:00am-3:00pm.
Attendance is required on all four days of the institute.
Contact Erica Pochis-Woelflein for any questions at (805) 493-3705 or email@example.com