HSI Strategic Plan
The first strategic goal outlined in the University's 2017-2022 strategic plan is Inclusion, which states, "as a community committed to inclusion and excellence, to reflect the demographic composition
of the state of California." In early 2017, HSI strategic plannning began to develop the following vision and mission
for HSI at Cal Lutheran and 10 HSI goals and objectives to be completed in the next
Create a campus environment where all individuals feel valued and empowered to live their purpose, where we can exercise enhanced cultural dexterity and a commitment to social justice, equity and inclusion.
As a Hispanic-Serving Institution (HSI), we cultivate a community of practice dedicated to addressing the evolving needs of our Latina/o students and alumni throughout the entire life cycle of their university experience – inside and outside the classroom. By truly understanding the value and opportunities diverse students, faculty and staff bring to a higher education environment, Cal Lutheran promotes a global mindset that strives to be a model HSI in the communities where we operate.
Create a campus culture where all faculty, administration and staff are aware of and dedicated to fostering HSI designation
Enhance a culture of innovation, inclusiveness and collaboration at Cal Lutheran as an HSI
Increase visibility and reputation of Cal Lutheran as an HSI to the communities we serve.
- Holistically incorporate diversity, inclusion and equity in the entire curriculum
- Establish university commitment to transfer pathways and articulation
- Centralize, expand, and target academic and co-curricular student development resources for underserved student populations
- Advance the practice of recruiting and retaining diverse faculty and staff that reflect the student population
- Create a culturally aware and responsive campus environment
- Use data to inform decisions/practices that impact underserved student outcomes in curricular and co-curricular programming
- Develop strategic partnerships with equity organizations and HSIs for knowledge sharing and program development to better support underserved students
- Implement a marketing strategy to increase the visibility and reputation of Cal Lutheran as a Hispanic-serving institution
- Conduct qualitative research to build baseline data on undergraduate classroom experience
- Effectively implement the CHESS and EDU CAL grants
- Advance culturally relevant academic programs
- Create 2-to-Finish guarantee for ADT students
- Grow the CUE-informed hiring practice changes for faculty hires and introduce to staff hiring processes