Jeanne Clery Act
In 1998, the federal government passed the Jeanne Clery disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, previously know as the Student right to Know Act of 1990. This new law requires colleges and universities receiving federal funding to disclose all reported criminal activity on their campus.
More specifically, the law requires the reporting of violent crimes, burglary,motor vehicle theft and a summary of arrests and disciplinary referrals for liquorlaw, drug abuse and weapons violations:
- Sex Offenses
- Forcible (rape, sodomy, rape with a foreign object, forcible fondling and sexual battery)
- Non-Forcible (incest and statutory rape)
- Aggravated Assault
- Motor Vehicle Theft
- Hate Crimes (where evidence reflects victim selection based on actual or perceived race, gender, sexual orientation, ethnicity, or disability)
- Arrests or persons referred for campus disciplinary action for liquor law violations, drug abuse violations and weapons possession.
These offenses must be reported according to their occurrence in the following location categories:
- California Lutheran University Campus
- Public Property Reasonably Contiguous to the Campus
- Non-Campus Buildings
In compliance with this law, the California Lutheran University Department of Safety and Security has produced a pamphlet containing this information as well as other valuable safety and crime prevention information.
This information is posted on the California Lutheran University Department of Safety and Security Web site under Campus Crime Statistics and is available in printed form at:
California Lutheran University
Safety and Security Office
60 West Olsen Road #7300
Thousand Oaks, CA 91360
Copies of the brochure will also be sent via U.S. mail upon request by phone, U.S. mail, or electronic mail.
If you have any questions, concerns, or comments, please contact the California Lutheran University Department of Safety and Security at (805) 493-3208, electronic mail at firstname.lastname@example.org, U.S. mail at 60 West Olsen Road #7300, Thousand Oaks, CA 91360 or in person at Office of Safety and Security (Welcome Center), 60 West Olsen Road #7300, Thousand Oaks, CA 91360.