Based on recommendations from the 2015 Staff Survey, the Staff Development Committee developed a series of staff awards to highlight the excellence that exists in all areas and job functions across the university.
The three staff awards are Spirit of Welcome Award, Cal Lutheran Leadership Award, and Champion for Student Success. They acknowledge staff accomplishments and achievements that support and further the mission, goals, values and initiatives of Cal Lutheran. These awards will be given out at Campus Community Day during the Recognition Lunch.
Cal Lutheran Leadership Award
The Cal Lutheran Leadership Award recognizes staff contributions that have significantly improved the campus community and show exceptional leadership qualities.
Recipients of the Cal Lutheran Leadership award are individuals who consistently demonstrate several of the following examples of exceptional leadership:
- Motivates and inspires colleagues around them to accomplish more than they would have normally.
- Inspires a high level of commitment from others when taking on new initiatives.
- Actively shares responsibility, information and credit when working towards the achievement of a goal.
- Communicates in a manner that is fair, straightforward, honest and open.
- Sets a high standard of integrity by leading through example and maintains high personal standards.
- Aligns actions and decisions with the University’s strategic goals, mission and direction and helps others understand their role in achieving the University’s Strategic Plan.
Champion for Student Success
The Champion for Student Success is a staff member that directly or indirectly helps contribute to the retention and graduation of Cal Lutheran’s student population and support them through their educational journey to success. This award seeks to recognize someone who exceeds the usual level of effort and goes beyond the scope of their job to have a significant positive impact on student success.
- Recipients of the Champion for Student Success award is a staff member that demonstrates several qualities listed below:
- Listens and provides encouragement to students (i.e. through interaction with student workers, etc.)
- Volunteers time beyond required work activities for the benefit of students (i.e. Vet Net Ally, Safe Zone Ally, Student Club Advisor, Focus Mentor, etc.).
- Participation in one of the main three student events: Orientation, Homecoming, and Commencement
- Is aware of and understands student populations (i.e. first generation, low income, athletes, adult learners, etc.).
- Is aware of and understands student needs.
- Serves as a role model to students, especially when managing student workers.
- Demonstrates sound judgment when working with students as they explore their Cal Lutheran experience
Spirit of Welcome Award
The Spirit of Welcome award recognizes a staff member’s work ethic that reflects Cal Lutheran’s values statement. This award is to recognize the staff member that goes above and beyond their normal workday and take the extra effort to embody Cal Lutheran’s "welcoming" culture.
- Recipients of the Spirit of Welcome award are Individuals that possess several qualities listed below and are considered a role model by colleagues.
- Promotes an inclusive university through recognition, welcome, and respect for each individual. Makes sure ALL students, faculty, staff, and guests of the university feel equally accepted.
- Demonstrates living the mission by being a mentor and role model to students.
- Goes above and beyond to reach out to all faculty, staff, students, and guests of the university beyond the scope of their position.
- Shows kindness and patience to all when working with others and creates a welcoming environment for all Cal Lutheran populations as well as guests of the university.
- Demonstrates qualities that make them a role model to others.