Identity, Mission and Core Values
California Lutheran University is a diverse scholarly community dedicated to excellence in the liberal arts and professional studies. Rooted in the Lutheran tradition of Christian faith, the University encourages critical inquiry into matters of both faith and reason.
The mission of the University is to educate leaders for a global society who are strong in character and judgment, confident in their identity and vocation, and committed to service and justice.
- As a university, we are committed above all to academic excellence and the rigorous pursuit of truth.
- As a church-related university, we are nourished by the Christian heritage, encourage active faith, and seek to serve our neighbors.
- As a community, we embrace people of all faiths, value diversity and inclusiveness, practice tolerance and acceptance, and treat one another with respect, civility, and compassion.
- As an employer, we expect a high level of performance and nurture the professional and personal growth of our faculty, administration, and staff.
- As a civic organization, we actively promote the social, cultural, economic and environmental health of our community.*
* With this plan, the university updates its core values to include environmental health. In May 2016, Cal Lutheran signed the Second Nature Presidents’ Climate Commitment, announcing the university’s commitment to achieving carbon neutrality and fostering a community marked by vision, creativity and resilience. This commitment builds on the ELCA Social Statement on Caring for Creation.