Find part-time employment on campus

Frequently Asked Questions

Download the Student Employee Handbook
When should I complete my Student Employment Personnel Action Form?

Once you have received a job offer, you should fill out the student portion online right away, and wait to begin work until you have received an email stating your eligibility to begin working.

Can I have more than one on-campus job?

Students may be approved for a concurrent position in another department. Requests for concurrent employment must be approved through the Student Employment office, but total hours worked between both roles must not exceed 20 hours/week.

Can International (Foreign Born) Students Work On-Campus?

Yes! International or foreign born students who are enrolled at least part-time in a degree seeking program (undergraduate, graduate, or professionals) may work on-campus. All students are required to provide proof of their eligibility to work in the US and students must apply for a social security card prior to working. Download this INSTRUCTION SHEET. 

What is the difference between Federal Work-Study (FWS) and Campus Work-Study (CWS)?

The difference between FWS and CWS are as follows:

How many hours per week can I work?

During the Fall and Spring Semesters, most students work approximately 10 hours, however you are allowed to work a maximum of 20 hours per week. During university breaks (Winter, Spring, & Summer), you are allowed to work a maximum of 40 hours per week.

What kind of work schedule can I expect?

Your work schedule will be coordinated with your supervisor each semester. It will vary based on your academic schedule. You may not miss classes in order to work.

How much do I get paid for an on-campus job?

Student wage rates at Cal Lutheran are set to the current California Minimum Wage of $15.50/hour.         

Student wage rates in Westlake Village are set to the current Los Angeles County Minimum Wage of $16.04/hour.

Student wage rates in Berkley are set to the current Berkeley County Minimum Wage of $16.99/hour.

How and when will I get paid?

Your earnings will be paid to you in the form of bi-weekly paychecks that are deposited directly to your personal bank account. You must be authorized to begin working by the Student Employment Office before you can log your hours and receive a paycheck.

If you have any questions about your paycheck or direct deposit set up, please contact the Payroll Office at (805) 493-3961

How to submit your Student Employment timesheet 

Can I work over the summer?

Returning students may work over the summer. In order to be eligible for summer employment, all undergradute and graduate students must be a continuing student at CLU. Incoming undergraduate and graduate students are not eligible for summer employment. 

To determine your eligiblity, please call: (805) 493-3279. 

What are my responsibilities as a student employee?

When you are hired for an on-campus position you become a member of a team that depends on you. While individual departments will have different expectations, you should expect to:

  • Be enrolled during the academic year. You must cease working after withdrawing or graduating from school or dropping below part-time status.
  • Set up a work schedule with your supervisor that compliments your class schedule and your supervisor's needs.
  • Earn no more than your FWS award amount each semester.
  • Report to work promptly, ready to begin work.
  • Notify your supervisor as soon as possible and no later than the beginning of the scheduled work shift, when you are unable to work.
  • Consider the employer's needs as well as your own when requesting time off.
  • Work with a cooperative and positive attitude.
  • Refrain from conducting personal business during work hours.
  • Perform your work in a satisfactory manner.
  • Dress appropriately for your work location.
  • Take your job seriously. The experience you gain in your position can be invaluable.
  • Develop and maintain good working habits.
  • Report your hours accurately each day that you work.
  • Discuss problems with your supervisor as they arise. Your employer will be understanding and be interested in working toward a solution. If the problem cannot be resolved, you may contact the Student Employment Office for assistance.
  • Students found to have engaged in gross misconduct (i.e. breach of confidentiality, theft, fraud, etc.) will be terminated and referred to the Dean of Students Office for disciplinary action.

Still Have Questions?

Download the Student Employment Handbook