Find part-time employment on campus

Student Handbook


Click Here to Download the Student Employment Handbook

Student Employment
University employment provides students with an opportunity to earn money for their college expenses, gives inexperienced students a chance to learn the workplace basics, provides students with an opportunity to work in a “field” that may be of interest, and helps prepare students to enter the workforce. California Lutheran University (CLU) also benefits from the unique talents and experiences students bring to the campus. A job contributes more than just financial assistance for a student’s college education; it also offers the opportunity to gain valuable work experience and skills to assist with educational career goals.

Student Employment Office
60 West Olsen Road #2400
Thousand Oaks, CA 91360
Phone: (805) 493-3279

The Student Employment Office is located within the Career Services Office, upstairs in the Student Union Building.

Office Hours
Monday through Friday: 9:00 am – 5:00 pm
Closed for all University recognized holidays

Student Eligibility
Matriculated undergraduate and graduate students are eligible to work as student employees with CLU. Students must remain enrolled at least part-time in their degree seeking program in order to remain eligible for employment (Fall/Spring semesters only). If a student's unit count falls under half-time (6 units for undergraduate students), the student will no longer be eligible to work on-campus. Students who have graduated from the Undergraduate program will not be eligible for student employment. If you are uncertain about your eligibility, please contact the Student Employment Office. Students working in the summer will not have to follow the unit requirements but must be enrolled for fall.

*Students placed on academic probation must remain enrolled in half time status. Students placed on financial aid suspension cannot work. 

Financial aid Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) maintains a student must meet these three criteria:

  1. 2.00 cumulative GPA
  2. Completing 67% of all attempted coursework
  3. Be on pace to graduate within a 150% of the expected time to complete the degree

International Students
Undergraduate and graduate International students with an F-1 VISA must obtain a Social Security Card and be enrolled half time (in at least 6 units) for both the fall and spring semesters in order to be eligible for employment at CLU. For more information about obtaining a Social Security Card, please download THESE INSTRUCTIONS.

Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA)
On June 15, 2012, it was announced by the Secretary of Homeland Security that certain people who arrived in the United States as children and who meet key guidelines may request for consideration of deferred action. Students who have been granted DACA will be issued an Employment Authorization card and a Social Security card. DACA students are eligible for any non-FWS funded positions.

Process for obtaining a job

  1. Search for positions online at, follow the instructions on the homepage. Your CLUPostings credentials are separate from MyCLU, Call (805) 493-3200 or email with any questions
  2. Apply for the position by sending the Student Employment application by email to the primary contact
  3. After you receive an offer of employment from a department, complete the online Personnel Form 
  4. Once prompted, submit all additional hiring documents to the Student Employment Office in-person, and wait to receive an authorization email before you begin working.

Required Employment Paperwork
All student employees need to complete the following forms:

The student and Primary Supervisor, are required to complete and sign an Authorization Application. The Primary Supervisor must be a CLU staff member. A new Authorization Application form is required each academic year, each summer, and for a new position.

Students who are U.S. Citizens must complete a Form W-4. Form W-4s are required so that the correct federal income tax can be withheld from your paycheck.

To comply with federal law, a Form I-9 must be completed by all student employees before they begin working. The penalties from non-compliance may result in termination of employment and could have significant fiscal impact on the University. When submitting the Form I-9, you are required to show proper identification document(s). The list of acceptable documents can be found on the last page of the form. We cannot accept photocopies or faxed copies of these identification documents because we must examine the authenticity of the original document(s).

Direct Deposit forms are now required of all students who work on campus. All students must also submit a         voided check in order for funds to be deposited in the correct bank account.  

Important: Completed forms must be submitted in-personto Career Services. Students are not eligible to begin working until all paperwork has been processed and the student has received an authorization email from the Student Employment Office with an eligible start date listed on it.

Concurrent Employment
Students are limited to one on-campus job at Cal Lutheran. In limited instances, concurrent employment may be approved by the Student Employment office. Upon approval, students may hold a second on-campus position adhering to the 20hrs worked per week restriction within both positions combined. During the academic term, students are not eligible to work over 20hrs per week even if the student is employed in two positions. Request for concurrent employment must be submitted via the Student Employment Authorization form.

Student wage rates at Cal Lutheran are set to the current California Minimum Wage of $15.50/hour.               

Student wage rates in Westlake Village are set to the current Los Angeles County Minimum Wage of $16.78/hour.

Student wage rates in Berkley are set to the current Berkeley County Minimum Wage of $18.07/hour.

(New for Fall 2023): Graduate Assistantship wage rates are set at $18.00/Hour.

Earnings are paid to the student in the form of a bi-weekly paycheck. Paychecks are available via Direct Deposit only.

Sick Leave
Student employees who work at least 30 days within a year, are eligible to take paid sick leave.

Employees requesting sick leave should provide reasonable notice of their absence to their supervisor. Paid sick leave may be used for the illness of an employee or an eligible family member; preventive care, diagnosis, care or treatment of an existing health condition for an employee or an employee's family member; or for specified purposes if an employee is a victim of domestic violence, sexual assault or stalking. Family members include the employee's or spouse's parent(s), child, spouse, registered domestic partner, grandparent, grandchild and sibling.

Student employees accrue at a rate of .033/per hour worked beginning their date of hire. Paid sick leave balances may be carried over to the following calendar year and accumulate up to a maximum of 48 hours. Student employees who cease their employment, and are rehired within one year from the last date of employment will have previously accrued and unused sick pay leave balances reinstated, up to the maximum allowable. Unused sick leave is not payable upon termination of employment.

Bereavement Leave

Under a new California law which went into effect on January 1st, 2023, all employees -- including student-employees – are entitled to 5 days bereavement leave.

 Unlike full-time employees, however, student employees are not entitled to paid bereavement leave (that is, it’s not paid). 

  • The 5 days need not be contiguous/consecutive, meaning the student can take several leaves for the same loss.
  • From Payroll: Students can use sick time if they have accrued enough hours.

Employment Law & Absences

For student workers, please be aware the Student Employment Office adheres to the general CLU employee handbook regarding employment law and Human Resources matters:

For more comprehensive information on the use of sick leave, please review the most updated information on the Handbook & Policies section of the Human Resources Page.

Per the university’s general HR Policy, a doctor’s note is not required to certify your absence and ability to return to work unless your absence and use of sick leave exceeds five consecutive days.

However, if you do have reasons for being absent, we recommend proactively communicating with your supervisor if you do need to make alternative arrangements or if you need specific accommodations.

Number of Hours per week
Undergraduate and graduate hourly student employees may work a maximum of 20 hours per week during the academic year (while school is in session) and a maximum of 40 hours per week during the summer, winter and spring breaks. Students must not exceed 8 hours of work in one day. It is very important you talk to your supervisor about when to take breaks.

Safety in the Workplace
All student employees should be careful while at work in order to avoid injury on the job. Whenever an item of concern relative to the safety or health of others needs to be corrected, it should be immediately reported to the student’s Supervisor.

Harassment refers to unwelcome behavior that is offensive, fails to respect the rights of others and interferes with work effectiveness. CLU believes that all members of the campus community should be free of harassment based on race, color, religion, age, natural origin, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or gender. As such, CLU does not tolerate any form of harassment and anyone who engages in harassment and is in violation of this policy will be subject to immediate disciplinary action, up to and including termination.

Important Information Regarding Health Insurance
For more information on The Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (PPACA) please visit the HR website announcements.

Grievance/Complaint Procedure
CLU has a grievance procedure designed for hearing complaints of harassment or problems on the job. The student should first discuss your concerns with their immediate Supervisor. In addition, the University has designed several contacts that are able to assist those who believe they are being harassed or have legitimate employment problem:

  • Student Employment Coordinator: (805) 493–3279
  • Director of Career Services: (805) 493–3199
  • VP for Student Affairs and Dean of Students: (805) 493–3553

Termination or Leaving Your Job
Typically a part-time job at CLU will conclude at the end of the academic year, or at the end of the semester, if applicable. Students have the right to leave their job at any time. If you find it necessary to resign, you should give a two-week notice to your Supervisor and have them complete the Student Employment Update Form

A student may be involuntarily terminated if their performance is continually unsatisfactory for reasons such as (but not limited to): violating any of the applicable policies identified in the Student Handbook/Standards of Conduct; continued poor work-performance or attitude; continued excessive tardiness or absence; falsification of employment or University records (including reporting hours worked); disobedience, insubordination, or harassment of other individuals.

Rules for Student Conduct
For the complete version of CLU Standards of Conduct, please visit


Workers' Compensation Information

Student employees are also eligible for workers' compensation. See the handouts below for more information. For further questions, please consult Human Resources.