There are legal restrictions on employment as an international student. If you have questions about what you can and cannot do, contact us.

Internships/Curricular Practical Training

An internship as an international student is called Curricular Practical Training (CPT).

You may only do an internship/CPT if:
  1. The internship is required or encouraged by your major
  2. You meet eligibility requirements

Please check with your program advisor before finding an internship.

What to do after getting approval:

Before beginning any internship, you must have official authorization from Immigration.


You may work on campus. Keep in mind that there are few jobs for international students.

If you get an on campus job, you will need to get a special letter from your campus employer. You need this letter in order to get a Social Security Number. Download instructions

After you get this letter, come see us.

We will give you another letter from our office and directions to the Social Security office.

You will also need to take all your traveling documents with you to the appointment.


Due to legal restrictions, you are not able to work off-campus except as part of an approved internship.


You can participate in one-time volunteer opportunities, but you are not allowed to do more than that.

As a general rule, if someone is usually paid to do this as a job, then it is considered employment.