Graduating Students

Preparing to graduate

There are a few steps you need to take.

1. Apply to graduate

You must apply to graduate whether you plan to be in the ceremony or not.

You can apply online or in the Registrar's office.

Be sure to give them an address where your diploma and transcripts can be mailed.

2. Order Graduation Gear

If you are participating in the graduation ceremony, you order your graduation cap and gown from the campus bookstore. Tell them whether you are an undergraduate or graduate student.

If you are a graduate student, they will need to know what degree you are earning so they can order the correct hood color.

Order International Graduation Stoles ( optional).

An international stole will depict your country's flag, embroidered with the Cal Lutheran logo for $44 directly from Vision Wear using your Cal Lutheran email address and the code CalLu2020 for free shipping. To order International stole online click here.

Place your stole order by April 15 to allow for delivery by commencement. Payment must be made when ordering by credit/debit card online.  Stoles can be picked up at OISS beginning on May 4th.

3. Fill out exit forms

There are two forms for undergraduates and one for graduate students. Undergrads will complete a form from Academic Services.  Both undergraduates and graduate international students need to complete the Studies Completion Form.  This form assists OISS with properly update your immigration status and to update your file:

4. Participate in the ceremony

Each May, Cal Lutheran holds a graduation ceremony for students who have completed their academic program or are one class away from graduation. We encourage you to participate. Learn more

More information

Options after graduation

There are three options available to you as you finish your academic program:

  1. Leave the U.S. within 60 days of graduation. This gives you time to see whatever you've missed in the U.S. But you must be exit the country within 60 days.   Please note that you cannot exit the U.S. and re-enter during this grace period.
  2. Be scheduled to start a new academic program in the next available term for a different degree or program.
  3. Apply and begin post-completion Optional Practical Training (OPT) within 60 days. The application process requires a two-hour appointment with us to fill out the paperwork. Learn more