Settling In

These are basic tips that will answer some of your initial questions.

If you need more information, contact us. We're here to help!


You will be given a Cal Lutheran email address (

Check your Cal Lutheran email every day

All official email communication from the university will be sent only to this address.

This is a university policy

We will not send email to a personal email address.

Always write to us from your Cal Lutheran email address

This helps us keep all your information organized — allowing us to serve you better.

Always use the name on your passport

When you write to us, always use the name on your passport. Since this is also the name on your student file, it will ensure all of your information stays together.


Mailboxes are located outside of the Mail Center (view on campus map).

Visit the Mail Center to ask for a mailbox. They will give you a mailbox number.

Tell them that you are an international student. Ask them to show you how to operate your mailbox.

Your address

101 Memorial Parkway, Mailbox #____
Thousand Oaks, CA 91360

Meal plans

If you wish to change your meal plan, you must contact Residence Life.

Room assignments

If you want to change your room assignment, visit with your R.A. Tell them the reason you want a new room.

Keep in mind that it is difficult to change your hall or room assignment, especially in the fall semester.


If you don't have a car, it is helpful to make friends with someone on campus who has a car!

Also, for short trips, you could rent a car relatively inexpensively.

Around Thousand Oaks

There are buses that can get you anywhere around Thousand Oaks.

Bus stops are located at either end of campus on Olsen Road.

It takes about 25 minutes to get to the Thousand Oaks Mall. From there, you can transfer to buses that will take you to the neighboring cities of Newbury Park and Simi Valley.

Taxis can take you anywhere, but cost more money. Be sure to ask for a quote before you get into the taxi.

To Los Angeles, San Diego, or San Francisco

The train which leaves from Moorpark or Simi Valley will take you directly to Los Angeles.

Another train will take you further on into San Diego.

Flights to either San Francisco or San Diego are occasionally available for very low prices.

To the airport

We suggest calling a shuttle to pick you up.

Order a shuttle well in advance of your flight. Tell them that you are a Cal Lutheran student.

Super Shuttle

(800) BLUE-VAN

Driver's License

The Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) issues driver's licenses and car registrations.

Applying for a license

  • If you apply for a license, the process can take up to six months.
  • You must read the online handbook before taking the driver's test.
  • In order to get your driver's license, you must get a certain score on your test.
  • It is required that you bring all your travel documents with you to obtain a license.
  • You may obtain a letter from our office to verify your attendance.
Social Security Number

You are not eligible for a Social Security Number unless you get a job on campus.

Learn more about employment