We get asked a lot of questions before Orientation starts. Below are some of those that are frequently asked by new students.
- Is New Student Orientation required?
- Will I receive my residence hall assignment before I get to Orientation?
- Where can I find an on-campus job?
- How and when do I get my books for class?
- How do I get involved on campus?
- When will I get my mailbox number and on-campus address?
- Is there an ATM on campus?
- What banks are close to campus?
- What if I don't receive anything about Orientation in the mail?
- When is Orientation?
- What happens when I arrive?
- What shopping is available in Thousand Oaks, just in case we forget something?
- How do I schedule my classes?
- Can I change my schedule during Orientation?
- How long can my parents stay during Orientation?
- Is there a cost for Orientation?
- What will we do during Orientation?
- How much is parking?
- I am a commuter student. Do I need to attend Orientation?
1. Is New Student Orientation required?
Yes. It is mandatory for all students to attend New Student Orientation so that you can become better acclimated to the campus. You need to register for the event at www.callutheran.edu/orientation. If for any reason you will not be able to attend part of Orientation, you must contact the Student Life Office at (805) 493-3197 prior to Thursday, January 16, 2020.
2. If I requested to live on campus, will I receive my residence hall assignment and the name of my roommate(s) before I get to Orientation?
Yes. You will receive your assignment, the names of your roommates, and their contact information on MyCLU Portal in the first few weeks of January. You can access this information by going to www.callutheran.edu/myclu. Once you log in, housing information is posted on the bottom right. If you have any questions regarding your housing assignment, contact Residence Life at Office at 805.493.3220. We recommend that you contact your roommates before you arrive to introduce yourself and to talk about who is bringing what.
3. Where can I find an on-campus job? What do I do if I have Federal Work Study?
The Career Services office will be more than happy to help you find a job. Visit the office located on the second floor of the Student Union. You can also go directly to the Student Employment website for on campus jobs. Do not forget to bring your Social Security Card (original) with you to campus. You will need this to process your paperwork to get a job.
4. How and when do I get my books for class?
During Orientation the bookstore will be open so that you can purchase your books. You can also purchase your books online at www.efollet.com. If you purchase your books online, the Bookstore will pull your books at the time of purchase and have them ready for you when you get to campus. All you have to do is pick them up.
5. How do I get involved on campus and sign up for clubs and other involvement opportunities?
Visit the Clubs and Organizations website at https://callutheran.edu/clubs to learn about the different clubs available on campus.
6. When will I get my mailbox number and on-campus address? What if I want to mail items to campus prior to my arrival?
Please visit the Mail Center (located near Starbucks) to request a box number. Your address on campus will be:
101 Memorial Parkway #______
Thousand Oaks, CA 91360
7. Is there an ATM on campus?
Yes, it is a CitiBank ATM and it is located in the Ahmanson Science Center.
8. What banks are close to campus?
Wells Fargo, Chase, Wachovia, Bank of America. We suggest you Google Search to find all the different banks and their locations.
9. What if I don't receive anything about Orientation in the mail?
You should recieve a letter from your Peer Advisor at least one week before Orientation. If you have not please contact 805.493.3197 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
10. What happens when I arrive?
Visit the Check In tent located in Kingsmen Park to receive your name tag and a schedule for the day. A brunch will be provided in the morning, along with a Welcome message from Student Life.
11. What shopping is available in Thousand Oaks, just in case we forget something?
Thousand Oaks has a variety of shopping options from The Oaks Mall, Target, Wal-Mart, and Best Buy; which are all really close to Cal Lutheran. Check out this map with various shopping locations, just in case you forget that surge protector.
12. How do I schedule my classes?
Academic Services creates class schedules for all incoming first year students. You can view your spring semester schedules on MyCLU. All classes are chosen to fit a Core 21 or Major requirement (the major indicated on application is used for class selection).
Transfer students will need to attend T2CLU to register for your classes and speak with your Faculty Advisor.
13. Can I change my schedule during Orientation?
Please plan to visit Academic Services the morning of Orientation to request class schedule changes. However, please keep in mind that all classes tie to a Core 21 or Major requirement. Spaces are limited in classes, and schedule changes are contigent on class space and availability.
14. How long can my parents stay during Orientation?
Spring Orientation is open to only students. Family members are encouraged to review the Orientation website to get their questions answered or contact Student Life at (805) 493-3197.
15. Is there a cost for Orientation?
Orientation is free for all new students. There is no cost to attend.
16. What will we do during Orientation?
Orientation is a half day experience full of fun and excitement! During this day, new students will become acquainted with other new students. You will also meet with your Peer Advisor. If you are a first year student, you will also meet your Faculty Mentor and get acquainted with your Peer Group. You will learn about the Freshmen Seminar program, a semester-long class to help first year students' transition into Cal Lutheran. You will also have the opportunity to visit the campus bookstore and get information about clubs and other activities to get involved on campus.
17. How much is parking?
Parking is free for all students on campus. New students will have to get a parking permit from the Welcome Center/Campus Public Safety. Students will get a parking sticker (either an R for Resident student or a C for Commuter student) to put on the back of their car and park where the permits are allowed. Be sure to register your car online to sign up for a parking pass.
18. I am a commuter student. Do I need to attend Orientation?
Yes! Orientation is required for all new students. Orientation is important to get acquainted with the CLU community, and commuter students are a valuable part of the community. Orientation will allow all students time to meet faculty, staff, and other new students. Orientation will give commuters the opportunity to learn about activities on-campus and establish relationships with other commuters.