We get asked a lot of questions before Orientation starts. Below are some of those that are frequently asked by new students.
- Is New Student Orientation required for Transfer Students?
- Will I receive my residence hall assignment before I get to Orientation?
- Where can I find an on-campus job?
- How and when do I get my books for class?
- How do I get involved on campus?
- When will I get my mailbox number and on-campus address?
- What does the school bank with?
- Is there an ATM on campus?
- What banks are close to campus?
- What if I don't receive anything about Orientation in the mail?
- What happens when I arrive?
- What shopping is available in Thousand Oaks, just in case we forget something?
- What if I am already living on campus?
- How do I schedule my classes?
- Can I change my schedule during Orientation?
- How long can my parents stay during Orientation?
- Is there a cost for Orientation?
- What will we do during Orientation?
- How much is parking?
- I am a commuter student. Do I need to attend Orientation?
- When is Orientation?
1. Is New Student Orientation required for Transfer Students?
Yes. It is mandatory for all students to attend New Student Orientation so that you can become better acclimated to the campus. You need to register for the event at www.callutheran.edu/orientation. If for any reason you will not be able to attend part of Orientation, you must contact the Student Life Office at (805) 493-3197 prior to Thursday, January 11, 2018.
2. If I requested to live on campus, will I receive my residence hall assignment and the name of my roommate(s) before I get to Orientation?
Yes. You will receive your assignment, the names of your roommates, and their contact information early January on your MyCLU portal. You can access this information by going to www.callutheran.edu/myclu. Once you log in, housing information is posted on the bottom right. If you have any questions regarding your housing assignment, contact Residence Life at Office at 805.493.3220. We recommend that you contact your roommates before you arrive to introduce yourself and to talk about who is bringing what.
3. Where can I find an on-campus job? What do I do if I have Federal Work Study?
The Career Service office will be more than happy to help you find a job. Visit the office located right next to the cafeteria. You can also go directly to the Student Employment website for on campus jobs. Do not forget to bring your Social Security Card (original) with you to campus. You will need this to process your paper work to get a job.
4. How and when do I get my books for class?
During Orientation the bookstore will be open so that you can purchase your books. You can also purchase your books online at www.efollet.com. If you purchase your books online, the Bookstore will pull your books at the time of purchase and have them ready for you when you get to campus. All you have to do is pick them up.
5. How do I get involved on campus and sign up for clubs and other involvement opportunities?
Our Spring Involvement Fair takes place in April. Clubs and student organizations will be present to tell you about their organizations. In addition, you can get information about all the clubs and organizations by going to the directory on the website.
6. When will I get my mailbox number and on-campus address? What if I want to mail items to campus prior to my arrival?
Most students will receive their mailbox numbers and combinations in their check-in packet during Orientation. Your address on campus will be:
101 Memorial Parkway #_________
Thousand Oaks, CA 91360
7. Who does the school bank with?
8. Is there an ATM on campus?
Yes, there are ATMs located in the Ahmanson Science Center, the SBET building, and one near our new Starbucks!
9. What banks are close to campus?
Wells Fargo, Chase, Wachovia, Bank of America. We suggest you Google Search to find all the different banks and their locations.
10. What if I don't receive anything about Orientation in the mail?
Check the Important Dates (these include dates in which to expect items from CLU) and if you have not received something by within one week of that date please contact 805.493.3197 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
11. What happens when I arrive?
All of New Student Orientation occurs in Ullman Commons 100/101. You may check in beginning at 10:30 AM outside of the Ullman Commons building.
12. What shopping is available in Thousand Oaks, just in case we forget something?
Thousand Oaks has a variety of shopping options from The Oaks Mall, Target, Wal-Mart, and Best Buy; which are all really close to Cal Lutheran. Check out this map with various shopping locations, just in case you forget that surge protector.
13. What if I am already living on campus?
Students who have moved on campus before January 16, 2018 will still need to check-in at Orientation to check into school and pick-up your Orientation packet.
14. How do I schedule my classes?
For Transfer students you will register for T2CLU and you will get your classes and meet with faculty at that event.
15. Can I change my schedule during Orientation?
If you are unhappy with your pre-selected classes, there will be a chance during Orientation to make changes to your class schedule. However, please keep in mind that all classes tie to a Core 21 or Major requirement. Spaces are limited in classes, and schedule changes will only be made if there is room available.
16. How long can my parents stay during Orientation?
Students only are invited to the Spring 2018 Orientation. We promise to take excellent care of new students and help them have a blast!
17. Is there a cost for Orientation?
No! All of Orientation is free to new students. Check-in activities and meals throughout Orientation will be free to all new students.
18. What will we do during Orientation?
Orientation is a half day experience full of fun and excitement! During this day, new students will become acquainted with other new students. You will also meet with your Peer Advisor. If you are a first-year student, you will also meet your Faculty and Administrative mentors and get acquainted with your Peer Group. You will learn about the Freshmen Seminar program, a semester-long class to help first year students' transition into Cal Lutheran. You will also have the opportunity to visit the campus bookstore, get information about clubs and other activities to get involved on campus.
19. How much is parking?
Parking is free for all students on campus. New students will have to get a parking permit from the Welcome Center/Campus Public Safety. Students will get a parking sticker (either an R for Resident student or a C for Commuter students) to put on the back of their car and park where the permits are allowed. Be sure to register your car online to sign up for a parking pass.
20. I am a commuter student. Do I need to attend Orientation?
Yes! Orientation is required for all new students. It is about getting acquainted with the Cal Lutheran community, and commuter students make up half of that community. Orientation will allow all students time to meet faculty, staff and other new students. Orientation will give opportunities for commuter students to learn about activities on-campus, the Commuter Lunch, and establish relationships with other commuters. These relationships will become a valuable part of your experience at the university.
21. When is Orientation?
Spring Orientation is on Tuesday, January 16, 2018 from 10:30 am - 4:00 pm