US PassportIf you already have a passport, check the expiration date before your departure. It must be valid for a minimum of six months after you are planning to return home.

Instructions can be found below or on the Travel.State.Gov site.

Applying in Person

You will need to apply for your passport in person if:
  • You are applying for your first U.S. passport
  • You are under age 16
  • Your previous U.S. passport was issued when you were under age 16
  • Your previous U.S. passport was lost, stolen, or damaged
  • Your previous U.S. passport was issued more than 15 years ago
  • Your name has changed since your U.S. passport was issued and you are unable to legally document your name change

To apply in person for a U.S. Passport, you MUST:

  1. Provide Application for Passport, Form DS-11
    • The form is available in the Study Abroad Center
    • It can be filled out and submitted online for faster processing here
    • It can be downloaded online and printed here
    • Do not sign the DS-11 application form until the Passport Acceptance agent instructs you to do so
    • Provide your SSN
  2. Present proof of U.S. Citizenship

    You may prove U.S. Citizenship with any one of the following:

    • Previous U.S. Passport (damaged passports are not acceptable as evidence)
    • Certified birth certificate issued by the city, county or state
    • Consular Report of Birth Abroad or Certification of Birth
    • Naturalization Certificate
    • Certificate of Citizenship

    Note: A certified birth certificate has a registrar's raised, embossed, impressed or multicolored seal, registrar's signature, and the date the certificate was filed with the registrar's office, which must be within 1 year of your birth. Please note that some short (abstract) versions of birth certificates may not be acceptable for passport purposes.

    Look online for more information if you do not have a valid birth certificate for Secondary Evidence of U.S. Citizenship.

  3. Present Proof of Identity

    You may prove your identity with any one of these:

    • Previous U.S. Passport (damaged passports are not acceptable as evidence)
    • Naturalization Certificate
    • Current, valid Driver's license
    • Current, valid Government ID: city, state of federal
    • Current, valid Military ID: military and dependents

    If none of these options are available to you, look for more information here.

  4. Provide Two Passport Photos

    You can obtain passport photos for free in the Study Abroad Center or at local retailers.

    Your photographs must be:

    • 2x2 inches in size
    • Identical
    • Taken within the past 6 months, showing current appearance
    • Color
    • Full face, front view with a plain white or off-white background
    • Between 1 inch and 1 3/8 inches from the bottom of the chin to the top of the head
    • Taken in normal attire
  5. Pay the Applicable Fee
    • If you are 16 years of age and older, the application fee is $110 and execution fee is $25
    • To have your passport expedited, it is an additional $60
  6. Submit Items to Nearest Passport Acceptance Facility

Passport Renewal

You can renew by mail if you meet all of these qualifications:
  • Your most recent passport is available to submit and it is not damaged
  • You received the passport within the past 15 years
  • You were over age 16 when it was issued
  • You still have the same name, or can legally document your name change

If you do not meet these standards, you are required to renew your passport in person. Look above for information regarding applying in person.

  1. Provide Application for Passport Renewal, Form DS-82

    Renewal forms can be downloaded here.

  2. Pay the Applicable Fee

    The passport application fee is $110. There is no execution fee. Expedited service is an additional $60 per an application.