Support Staff Position (non-exempt)
Position TitleComputer Systems Specialist I
DepartmentInformation Systems and Services
Basic FunctionUnder the supervision of the Manager of Desktop Systems, the Computer Systems Specialist I will apply knowledge and skills to install, maintain, troubleshoot and document computer hardware, software and networks for the students, employees and affiliates of California Lutheran University.
Representative Duties• Maintains, installs and troubleshoots computer software using standard policies and procedures, including but not limited to: computer operating systems, business productivity suites, instructional aide, email and computer management applications.
• Maintains, installs and troubleshoots computer hardware, peripherals and network-related infrastructure; corrects hardware-related issues through repair or replacement.
• Installs new workstations and removes old workstations based on standard policies and procedures.
• Assists the Manager of Desktop Systems in the processing of quotes, requisitions and purchase orders in accordance with institutional policies and procedures for acquiring new computer hardware, software and network equipment.
• Compiles, writes, and maintains written documentation of computer configurations and ensures adherence to minimum hardware/software requirements.
• Assists with research and implementation of computer hardware and software; maintains awareness of technological advances and knowledge of current hardware, software and network technologies.
• Responds to service calls on workstations; addresses questions and concerns by faculty, staff, and other constituents related to computer hardware, software, and networks; serves as a technical expert in hardware, software, and networks.
• Educates and empowers users in the proper use of business and administrative software packages through ad hoc individual or class instruction.
• Administers, maintains and troubleshoots servers and or related services as needed.
• Reports and maintains work orders in the electronic database.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
Knowledge Of• Hardware, software, and networking protocols
• Operating Systems
o Intermediate knowledge of Microsoft Windows XP/7/8
o Intermediate knowledge of Apple OS 10.5 and newer
o Beginning to knowledge of any flavor of Linux/Unix
• Computer software
o Microsoft Office Suite
o Email clients (Outlook, Mac, Mail, Thunderbird)
o Symantec Antivirus
o Desktop imaging software (Symantec Ghost, Apple Software Restore)
• Computer hardware and peripherals
o Hard disk, Optical Drive, Memory, Power Supply and other computer components
o Printers, Scanners and PDAs
o Various input devices such as barcode scanners and drawing devices
o Proper techniques for maintaining an inventory of hardware
• Computer networks
o Windows and Apple networking
o TCP/IP, SMB, IGMP, POP and SMTP Protocols
o Ethernet media
o Network topology
o Local and Wide area networks
o Wireless networks and related protocols
Ability To• Effectively communicate technical issues in a technical and nontechnical manner.
• Identify issues, evaluate, and execute a plan to resolve technical issues related to computer software, hardware, and networks.
• Perform related tasks for issue resolution over the phone and in person.
• Work independently with little direction and meet scheduled project timelines.
• Serve as a technical liaison to users in an effort to identify needs and resolve technical issues.
• Read and interpret technical manuals and documentation through written and verbal communication.
• Establish, maintain and strengthen cooperative and effective working relationships with colleagues and clients.
• Prioritize and manage workload assigned.
• Perform specialized duties in the technical field.
Education and ExperienceEDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Any combination equivalent to: two years of college-level course work in microcomputers, networking applications and systems, computer science, management information systems, information systems, or closely related field and two years of increasingly responsible experience in microcomputer, network hardware, and software installation, maintenance, and repair.
• Ability to work flexible hours
• Valid California Driver’s License
• Indoor environment
• Constant interruptions
• Hearing and speaking to exchange information.
• Dexterity of hands and fingers to operate a computer keyboard and replace computer parts.
• Seeing to inspect equipment.
• Sitting or standing for extended periods of time.
• Lifting, carrying, pushing or pulling moderately heavy objects.
• Bending at the waist, kneeling or crouching.
Application ProcedureCompleted Application Packet includes:
• CLU Application
• Cover letter outlining your qualifications for this particular job
Only complete packets will be forwarded to the search committee. Please submit your cover letter and resume by email to firstname.lastname@example.org, or mail to:
California Lutheran University
Human Resources, MC1100
60 W. Olsen Road
Thousand Oaks, CA 91360
California Lutheran University is an equal opportunity employer. Upon request, reasonable accommodations in the application process can be provided to individuals with qualifying disabilities. Please contact the Human Resources Department for further information or to request an accommodation.